Frustrations- new stock for Savage 111

SavageScott

Guys,

Trying to find a good tactical aftermarket stock for a Savage 111 LRH. I am running into dead-ends everywhere I try. Apparently Remington is the only thing anyone really has available.

I like the McMillan A-5 stocks. That is the design I want (or something very similar). Anyone have any suggestions where I can look to find something that is actually in stock? I'm open to other stock manufacturers but I prefer the tactical design (like the A-5).

Thanks in advance!

Guys,

Trying to find a good tactical aftermarket stock for a Savage 111 LRH. I am running into dead-ends everywhere I try. Apparently Remington is the only thing anyone really has available.

I like the McMillan A-5 stocks. That is the design I want (or something very similar). Anyone have any suggestions where I can look to find something that is actually in stock? I'm open to other stock manufacturers but I prefer the tactical design (like the A-5).

Thanks in advance!

Probably not going to find anything in stock. Best off just get exactly what you want from mcm and wait, no instant gratification in the savage stock game. Just another example of why so many people suggest and use rem700. I've been in your shoes and from my experience I'll be damned if I'm ever there again. Good luck.

I appreciate the response!

I'm guessing you went ahead with a Remington build?

Here is what is stopping me. I have had first-hand experience with MANY Savage rifles, and I have never had one that didn't shoot great. I have never owned a Remington, and am hesitant to start a build with something that is going to give me sub-par accuracy.

With my Savages I won't have to replace the barrel right away as I know the accuracy they give me. I hear so many mixed things about Remington barrels and that is what is causing my hesitation....... I don't want to buy a new Remington, immediately replace the stock AND then have to worry about rebarreling. As I recall there is quite a long wait on the barrels I like also......

Welcome to E. Arthur Brown Company Inc -

This may be one of your only options. I have the ultimate sniper and though it is hunky and seemingly cheap it is a great stock for the price. I haven't handled the other stocks to compare.

*Thats why a lot of guys buy used remmy and build. Honestly after handling better actions than savage I will find it kind of hard to return. I still have a few but they will not get used as much.

Thanks for the reply!

I haven't heard much about Choate stocks so I stayed away from them.

I may just build off of a Rem 700. Anyone have suggestions on what Rem 700 model to buy to start out with? Or should I just but a plain ole SPS and plan on rebarreling?

SS, I bedded a Boyds "Tacticool" stock for a friend on his 111. Comes in black or for a few $ in laminate colors. Nice vertical grip. He purchased with nutmeg laminate and Limbsaver pad as extras.

Have checked on Stockade and Savage Shooter Supply?

You also have the chassis style tactical stocks --- XLR, MDT, SABER-FORSST, McCrees Precision, etc...

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply!

I haven't heard much about Choate stocks so I stayed away from them.

I may just build off of a Rem 700. Anyone have suggestions on what Rem 700 model to buy to start out with? Or should I just but a plain ole SPS and plan on rebarreling?

Being as most stocks you find will be for bdl's, so any remm bdl depending on your preference of finish. If you plan on cerokoting it then it really doesn't matter. If you are unable to find a reasonably priced bdl go w/ the adl and expect to buy bottom metal or stick w/ the adl.

Keep in mind the caliber you want b/c you may want an extended box which could pose some issues in an adl.

The SPS route is fine esp when you find one cheep. I have a new SPS LA standard bolt for sale if interested.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.