Frustration and dissapointment!!

Obsessed

Went out Sunday morning to do some test shooting on some rounds that I reloaded throughout the week. Wanted to do it early in the morning because of the heat in the afternoon is too much. Anyway after shooting the first string of 3 168MK, I went to shoot the next string and it locked the bolt(I believe too much powder for a Savage 300 Win mag 112). After working on it for awhile I got the bolt open, but it then would not close all the way, so I put it back in the truck to work on later-by the way the first string I shot had 2 almost touching and the 3rd about 2" away to the left. So the next is a Sako 300 Win mag aver an hour or so I shot 5 strings of 3 each shooting for groups. On every string I had 2 that were close if not touching and always a flier! I was very disgusted and dissapointed in both myself and my equipment. Like I said I spent most of the week loading for this day, carefully weighing each charge, weighing and seperating each bullet, I was using brand new brass but I still cleaned, deburred and sized the case. To be honest I was so dissapointed I was thinking of scrapping the whole idea of LRH, but that was yesterday and today after a good nights sleep I am ready to try-try again. Anyone have any words of encouragement, I am basically going this alone here with no mentor. HELP PLEASE.

I load using the "ladder" method, once I found/tried this method it's all I've used...this allows me several options and benefits.

I don't need to load as many rounds.

I can find a good load in one trip to the range.

I don't need to worry about high pressures ending my testing.

I find a load without worrying/considering the velocity.

I can load to the middle of a "good" area and still have an accurate load with some variation in power charge and/or ambient temperature.

I don't generally load to the max velocity anymore...it's easier on me and the rifle to load a little below max, at an accurate load, and adjust to scope an extra "click" or two.

http://www.windcharts.com/reality_based_load_development.htm

When using the RBLD make sure you start low enough, else you won't get a nice rising curve. My last load dev exercise showed a curve that had progressively lower group centers as I moved up through the sets. I started out with 10 sets each differing by 0.3 grains. Due to that experience, I should have tried at least 15 sets.

I got so frustrated that I went through the same thought process, I recovered and decided to order QuickLoad.

My belief is the RBLD is sound, I just like to tinker and QuickLoad gives me that.

AB

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.