Front Rest Placement

Jim Hundley

When shooting for group accuracy with a "smart" recoiling hunting rifle (.300 Win.mag.)where do you place the rifle in the front rest.I have been removing the sling studs so as not to hang on the bags and placing the rifle stock in the front bag about three inches back from the tip of the stock.I have read (forgot the article) that suggested placing the front rest under the stock in front of the last action screw (muzzel end) and holding the stock at the pistol grip and forearm,instead of letting the rifle front free recoil (just gripping the pistol grip).Which technique do you guys prefer for top accuracy off a good cement bench with good bags and heavy adjustable Hart front rest?
Thanks,
Jimmy

When bench shooting I place the front rest where I would put my hand if w/o the rest.

The trigger finger hand grips the pistol grip and 'holds' the rifle firmly against the shoulder.

The other hand squeezes the rear sand/beanie bag to achieve a 'natural' rest w/the cross hairs at the point of aim when the hand on the bag is relaxed. I then hold the rear bag rather than squeeze it much.

However, I would recommend getting away from the bench and onto a bipod from the ground. But I don't have the guts to shoot anything from a 338 Win on up, prone without a brake.

Jimmy,
To me, its more of a recoil/gunweight issue as anything else. If the gun is heavy enough that it dosen't jump off the bags, or give you unusual, unexplainable vertical, then as you describe, out near the forend tip is a good place to set up. If its lighter, youll have to go to a more rearward bag setup, and apply some downward pressure to the forend. Id suggest simply letting your arm provide extra weight, by hanging it off the bottom if you can, since thats easier to do consistantly than puling down with a certan amount of pressure. Youll probably just have to experiment a little and see how it rides the bags. What does it weigh? that will be a major predictor. In my experence, that line is in the 10-12lb with max power 300WM loads (about 20-22ft/lbs of free recoil energy) Lighter? rear bag and pressure. Heavier? let the forend do its own thing. Just be superanal about being consistant in the pressure you apply with your shoulder, your fingerplacement/ grip pressure, and cheek placement/pressure and you will be fine. The lighter the gun, the more effect "hold" variations will affect the outcome.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.