• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

From the good people at Powder Valley

I agree with this, but...

If a person figures all of that out, and no components are around, they still go ahead and order the parts needed for the build. If the parts arrive and still no components, no worries, the build still has to be completed and that takes time, too. If the build completes, and STILL no components....paper weight.

I lucked out- I have a switch barrel being built currently. I ordered all of the parts last August and got them late November/early December. At the time I ordered the parts for my build, I was able to get brass or already had it. Primers, too, and bullets for one of the barrels. What I did not have were powders for either, or bullets for one of the barrels. I have been VERY lucky in that I was able to find everything earlier this year, though I'm pretty short on one of the powders.

If I had needed primers though, or wasn't able to trade for some things, I'd have been hosed. I think many people are in that boat, especially new reloaders or people who have a couple cartridges they load for but are expanding their horizons- they probably don't have much, if anything, to barter or reuse.

That is why I think it is silly for some folks to take the "failure to plan is planning to fail" attitude here. Nobody plans for the world to be shut down for over a year- even if you had a gut feeling and were able to stock up, you probably burned through quite a bit if you were shooting semi-regularly. Spending tens of thousands of dollars in the off chance that you need to be stocked up for an 8 year shortage is just something that very few people have the capacity to do. I'm not saying you are taking that attitude- I'm saying that a few people on here are, and they probably just need to keep their collective mouths shut because they're only looking to poke some bears.

For that matter, I should probably keep mine shut as well, haha!
I don't have a problem with people buying what they need or going to use themselves in the future, what bothers me are people that buy huge amounts and emptying all the shelves just to rape a dedicated shooter on prices, most of these type people don't even shoot themselves they're just taking advantage of the shortage caused by the pandemic to screw people, hopefully things get back to normal and they're all stuck with a garage full of reloading supplies and have to take a loss to get rid of 😁😁

I hope you have a Manufacturing license.Also you need mucho liability insurance.If your home insurance company finds out you are doing this,they will probably cancel your insurance.Not trying to be negative,but there are many things one must do to manufacture ammo.Actually you are not even allowed to reload ammo for a friend.The BATF will stick it too you if they can.
I think it requires type 006 FFL but before they'll even consider you you'll need to get local/state business licenses and once they find out it's ammo manufacturing you'll get screwed on zoning...at that point your put on notice to your not allowed to manufacture ammo and it get even worse. I think your putting yourself at serious criminal risk manufacturing ammo in your home.

Most people do not know the origination of the phrase "hosed". It did not mean someone squirted you with a garden hose. It was in reference from the computer world, it was an acronym for "hardware or software error detected".
Yeah, I'm in the industry and knew that from a while ago, but I also use it interchangeably with another word that would certainly have been flagged as inappropriate on here. 😂

So save us your indignation. We are all very happy that you have a bunch of stuff you don't use. Bravo, you are officially a hoarder. When you become a shooter, check back in with us.
Some "shooters" become "hoarders" when they realize that, however much supplies they have on hand, it may have just become their lifetime supply! What is a lifetime supply? My point exactly.

What I don't understand is why all the reloading hardware components are gone too. I have looked for a month for a RCBS 308 bullet puller collet, there they all were "GONE", all out of stock. I luckily got a 25, thought maybe it might work, nope! Almost all collets are out of stock. Really how many people screwed up & need to pull a bullet? Guess they must be pulling bullets to use the bullets & gun powder to reload in something.
They're making presses, dies & other high profit items with the steel they have. I'm looking for a 7MM & haven't found 1 yet. I see Hornadys but not RCBS. They show up on eBay but I can buy the puller & collet from Hornady for less. I already have the RCBS puller though.

I have had 3 custom hunting rifles built from different actions and when I received them, they all shot differently at first. The 284 winchester was a 1/4" -3/8" grouper from the get go - from a clean barrel.

The 300 WSM produced 1 1/4 to 1 3/4" groups to start. I even sent it back to the custom shop and was told there was nothing wrong with the rifle. I did notice shots 3 thru 5 from a clean barrel to be closer together so I started shooting a fouling shot or two before getting serious. Well, my groups shrank to about a 1" average. Then something else happened, after about 150 rounds, my groups started shrinking. At 250 rounds my average group size was now down to 1/2" and it has stayed there to this day. Apparently there may have been a slight barrel flaw that has worn down

My 338 has been a 3/4" to 1" gun from the start. Clean or dirty barrel doesn't matter. I've only put about 100 shots thru this rifle and it mainly stays in the safe. A 7 lb 338 win mag with no muzzle break is a stout recoiling gun.

I keep 10 to 15 varieties of bullets of each caliber to see what works and 15 different powders to test out too. It's hard to say what will work and what won't, so I've done a lot experimentig along the way. And the advancement of great hunting bullets has given us reloaders a lot of options to try out. I know there are certain manufacturers and types of bullets that I've never been successful trying out. I have thousands of these so called premium bullets that will not group under 1 1/2" in any of my rifles.

NAFTA killed our domestic lumber industry, for a lot of years we enjoyed cheap Canadian lumber, no one ever complained about how absurdly cheap lumber prices got, except timber farmers and mill operators. The recent stop/start renegotiation of NAFTA threw the lumber industry into chaos, coupled real inflation and a spike in demand for housing.....gives you a real **** show
NAFTA...stupid Clinton, the cursed gift that keeps on giving...

Well stated but some of us are planning for firearms and ammo to be shut down forever.....
My worst case scenario is not that bad, but I'm stockpiling more than I ever have in case they hit us with taxes similar to fuel taxes where only about a third goes to what you are buying. I did buy an awesome AR-10 that I would have put off if not for the current anti-gun administration. Good luck and best wishes to all.