from ladder test to final load

coyotelite

I've got an m70 300 weatherby that shoots 3/4" all day with minimal load development. I just ordered a gen II pst 5-25 and a B&C medalist stock. I'm going to do a ladder test with the 210 vld and h1000 to find the node. Once I find the charges that hit that node, what should I do next? If 3 of the charge weights hit together, which one do I start with and how much more fine tuning the charge should I do. Next I plan to mess with seating depth but what process should I use to get the most out of my load development process?

Also I would say a real accurate Chronograph like a magnetospeed is well worth the $180 and has saved me lots of time and money in load development. Changed the entire way I build up loads.

I just did the berger protocol for jump in my 7mm08 cooper. The results were dramatic. .13 1.5" ; .09 .8"; .05 1.4"; .01 .206" Just one group and I haven't repeated but there was a huge improvement at .01 jump. 140 VLD 40.5 Varget

How much does the Magnetospeed affect POI/accuracy? I like the idea, but I would expect that you would need to use it to find velocity node and then shoot again to make sure it is also accurate...

It can change both but if you follow that 6.5 guys article then it's pretty strait forward. You aren't shooting 5-10 shots at each charge weight only 1-3. Find the flat spot in velocity then load up 5 in the middle of the flat spot and shoot for a group at a reasonable distance (not 100 yds but 200-500yds). If the accuracy is not the best then do a seating depth test and usually that tightens the groups up.

So after the ladder test and finding the velocity node, then if I mess with seating depth, should I do another ladder test at that oal to make sure nothing changed?

So after the ladder test and finding the velocity node, then if I mess with seating depth, should I do another ladder test at that oal to make sure nothing changed?

At that point I would just verify that the velocity hasn't changed and shoot some groups at distance to see if the vertical is acceptable. Ask when judging groups at say 500 and more pay more attention to vertical dispersion than overall group size. See the picture below. The wind was high and very tricky this day constantly switching. The group is wide but only about 1.25" in vertical at 655 yards. So basically the load, gun and setup are working great and I need to read the wind better. Some will say that's a crappy group cause it's a 4.25" group but take away the wind and that would be very tiny at 655! Vertical, vertical, vertical!
36D56ABF-F8DD-4D8B-83BE-12151B08FAF8.jpeg

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.