• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

Friendly tips for buying

Holycity73

So back in September I purchased a Meopta Meostar on this forum.
I broke the cardinal rules of CYA in the classifieds.
1. I made assumptions. Always ask questions. You are not here to make friends, so do not worry about offending anyone with logical and pertinent questions. A solid seller will always be willing to answer.
2. If a serial number is present, do a serial number lookup or call the item in question's manufacture regarding age of product.
3. ALWAYS ASK IF THE SELLER IS THE ORIGINAL OWNER. I'm not saying this will be a deal breaker if not, but the sins of a previous owner are sometimes overlooked innocently by the current.
4. As Len suggests, ask for an examination period. Sometimes people just want the item gone and will move on to another buyer if this is requested. Consider that a red flag and a crisis averted.
5. If you have a bad feeling, trust your gut. This is the one that we look back on with the most self loathing.
6. Make sure that if you are buying a very expensive product, not only to purchase but also repair, the warranty is good and transfers.
7. Communicate with the seller after the fact. Even if you are just letting the seller know you received your product, communication is key. A seller who is communicating throughout with the buyer is less likely to be blindsided with a problem. If in fact there is an issue, a solid and honorable seller will make every attempt to make it right.

I'm sure everyone has rules of their own they can add to this list, these are just a few of mine that looking back, I wish I had respected.
My current drama, now with Meopta, is still unfolding. Their legendary customer service seems to be on hiatus.
Luckily the seller I purchased from is not the scumbag kind. Although there are details I wish he had disclosed in the original ad, I could have asked the questions stated above as well as a few more before closing the deal. So at this point, I see it as my fault.

Good luck on the classified forum and remember two things:
1. If a deal seems too good to be true, it probably is.
2. No one forces you to send funds. Do your homework before you spend your hard earned money.

Last edited:
Feedback is very helpful but read carefully before you begin the transaction . Also members who have been here a while are more trustworthy than say a member for a couple weeks. All great advice from Holycity73 however and thank you. I have bought over 20 times from this site in the past two years and I have had perfect results. This forum and its members are amazing but I have read we are not above getting a con man in here once in a while!

Definitely great advice. I also look for members with higher post counts and positive feedback. I follow most of what Holy73 wrote as well. I like the follow through after the fact, that doesn't happen all that much.

One thing to be careful of it is possible for accounts to get hacked and the hackers have control of said experienced user with good feedback and post up items. I've seen it on here a couple times and another AZ hunting website. Just look for signs, make sure they have all the info and know what they're talking about. Ask for a number and talk to them if you can, especially for something expensive and use your best judgement.

Definitely great advice. I also look for members with higher post counts and positive feedback. I follow most of what Holy73 wrote as well. I like the follow through after the fact, that doesn't happen all that much.

One thing to be careful of it is possible for accounts to get hacked and the hackers have control of said experienced user with good feedback and post up items. I've seen it on here a couple times and another AZ hunting website. Just look for signs, make sure they have all the info and know what they're talking about. Ask for a number and talk to them if you can, especially for something expensive and use your best judgement.
That reminds me of that little courtesy, a photo of the product containing a hand written screen name and date. Not foolproof, but certainly adds a bit of comfort.

As an update to my current saga…
I'm fortunate to have been dealing with not only a stellar member of this community, but a company that lived up to their reputation (albeit slower than normal due to staff shortages and covid blah blah blah).
These were received 2 hours apart. I may or may not know someone at Meopta USA who told me this was coming…

Attachments

• 27E874FB-6221-478A-9E23-3114B01ED5F2.jpeg
    27E874FB-6221-478A-9E23-3114B01ED5F2.jpeg
    131.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 5B57B722-614B-4F5D-85B3-E6493EB28AAE.png
    5B57B722-614B-4F5D-85B3-E6493EB28AAE.png
    125.8 KB · Views: 34

Recent Posts