Freedom arms vs BFR on accuracy 454 casull

berryb1611

I am trying to get the most accurate revolver. The choice is between freedom arms m83 or the BFR. The caliber is 454 casull, why this round? I like it and have reloading dies, brass and bullets for said round. I do not want to take the lost of changing to another. Now without getting into a long store about my revolver that I had that was over-bored from the factory and was designed that way to keep the pressures down, (per three well known revolver smiths) that I spoke with. I am only interested in the two stated revolvers. The barrel length will be 5.5" to 6.5". I will be reloading jacketed bullets and cast. I am looking for real world accuracy test that you all have done with the above revolvers. I am not looking for the prettiest gun. This gun is for hunting and target shooting. I want to shoot it out past 200 yards. I know about the safety and 4 rounds issue. If I cannot do it in 4 round the fifth is not going to save me. The FA is more money but how much accuracy am I getting for that price.

I've always wanted a FA 454. Just not bad enough to buy one lol. But if 200 yards was my goal with a revolver, it would be that, or Smith's best model 460.

My buddy has a BFR in 500 s&w I believe. He's had to send it back for misfires, light strikes. To me they aren't any better built than a Super Blackhawk, but I could be wrong. I just don't think it's in the same category as a FA.

I'm a big fan of FA. I have several and they are all shooters - no matter the caliber. It is a simple value proposition - the FAs are the Swiss watch of revolvers and hold their value. Try that with a BFR. No comparison.
Very true! The FA is a high quality firearm compared to the others. I own a FA Premier, Ruger Redhawk and a DMAX Sidewinder (pre BFR) all in .454 and accuracy is not going to be the limiting factor in any of these firearms. If you appreciate a quality firearm that will retain more value, go with the FA if not go with one of the other brands. It will be hard to go wrong with any of them for a hunting gun. I personally prefer the .500 S&W or .44 Mag for hunting.

Very true! The FA is a high quality firearm compared to the others. I own a FA Premier, Ruger Redhawk and a DMAX Sidewinder (pre BFR) all in .454 and accuracy is not going to be the limiting factor in any of these firearms. If you appreciate a quality firearm that will retain more value, go with the FA if not go with one of the other brands. It will be hard to go wrong with any of them for a hunting gun. I personally prefer the .500 S&W or .44 Mag for hunting.
I just bought a new model ruger super blackhawk bisley 3 weeks ago and it is not worth 2 cents. It is over-bored and I do not care for smith. I had a x frame 500 mag for several years. I am looking for which of the two revolvers( freedom arms or bfr) are the most accurate.

I just bought a new model ruger super blackhawk bisley 3 weeks ago and it is not worth 2 cents. It is over-bored and I do not care for smith. I had a x frame 500 mag for several years. I am looking for which of the two revolvers( freedom arms or bfr) are the most accurate.
Want to sell your Ruger??

I sent it back to ruger. They are looking at it right now. Hope they will offer my money back. If not I will be selling it. I will never buy a ruger again.

Awesome! When it comes back if you want to sell it let me know! I love Rugers, and only had 1 problem with a broken screw on the extractor housing on a used .44 Super BlackhawkI purchased. Ruger did a fabulous job and met all expectations and more.

I have owned and shot both revolvers in .44 Mag. For a pure hunting gun, both will suffice. Comparing a FA with a BFR is like comparing apples to grapes - not a fair comparison. You seem to be focused on accuracy (and who isn't) There is a reason FA revolvers did so well in silhouette circles back in the day -- accuracy. For those who have the ability to shoot revolvers extremely well, two inch groups and less are common from 100 yards - with FA revolvers. Both are built like tanks and can tolerate a consistent diet of heavy loads. I sold my BFR and now shoot and hunt with three different FA revolvers. Best of luck with whatever you choose.

FA are beautiful, my BFR is cool (not a .454). I had trouble justifying the price of a FA for the shooting I do. For the range toy I wanted, the BFR works. I can't comment on accuracy since I haven't tried a FA but the BFR would probably do better if I scoped it. A flinch will cover up any difference in mechanical accuracy probably.

A Ruger sent out to a top level revolver smith for a new barrel and cylinder would probably do everything just as well and might be cheaper.

I have heard that the BFR frame is cast by Ruger before Magnum Research machines it so you kind of get a Ruger either way if you choose one of those.

I'm not sure how FA makes their frames but I wouldn't be surprised if they started with a Casting made by Ruger too.

By the way, Ruger is one of the world's best investment casting foundries so this isn't a bad thing.

FA are beautiful, my BFR is cool (not a .454). I had trouble justifying the price of a FA for the shooting I do. For the range toy I wanted, the BFR works. I can't comment on accuracy since I haven't tried a FA but the BFR would probably do better if I scoped it. A flinch will cover up any difference in mechanical accuracy probably.

A Ruger sent out to a top level revolver smith for a new barrel and cylinder would probably do everything just as well and might be cheaper.

I have heard that the BFR frame is cast by Ruger before Magnum Research machines it so you kind of get a Ruger either way if you choose one of those.

I'm not sure how FA makes their frames but I wouldn't be surprised if they started with a Casting made by Ruger too.

By the way, Ruger is one of the world's best investment casting foundries so this isn't a bad thing.
New cylinder , barrel and a tune up by John Linebaugh is $4200.00 plus what I paid for my ruger

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.