Freebore for 162 ELD-X in 284 Winchester

AROKHUNTER

I'm getting ready to order a reamer for a 284 Winchester build and was wondering if anyone can tell me the freebore in their chamber that is being used with the 162 ELD-X? I'm wanting to seat the bullet so the shank is above the neck/shoulder junction.

The rifle will be built with a Remington long action with a BDL floor plate.

Please tell me what is working for y'all.

Why not send in a dummy round with bullet seated as you just described. Tell them how much jump to lands you want. Or if uncertain ask them what they recommend.

I sent in a dummy 284 win with a Berger 168 VLD hunting bullet with the following description of what I wanted. (I intended to turn the necks):

"I would like a reamer made for a 284 win with a .315" neck. Also want a removeable pilot bushing installed.

Use the supplied dummy round to throat reamer for the bullet to engage the rifling with .020" engagement."

Sending in a dummy round seated just above the neck shoulder junction is a very good idea but I wouldn't state how much jump you want every gun and bullet are different in what they like. JGS or Manson are where I would be looking for a reamer.

I planned on making the dummy round and sending it in to Manson. I was just hoping someone had a good starting point, or suggestion on the jump measurement. I know every rifle has its own mind about what it likes, so I was figuring on minimum jump. Maybe .010" or .020" jump? Just looking for input. Thanks.

If your gonna have manson do your reamer ask for Dave and talk with him, he might not be able to take your call right away but he's always got back to me. If you go the JGS route Jason or Grant are always helpful

Thanks for the heads up. How far out would you seat above the neck/shoulder junction. Would seating the bearing surface .010" above the junction be sufficient?

That should be fine could or .020. I don't worry about donuts on my brass but it does help if the situation arises. Mainly I don't like using up case capacity.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.