Freebore and COL

hogwild

With Weatherbys freebore how much does the COL really effect the accuracy? The reason I'm asking is that I see in quite a few of the reloading manuals they have the COL at or around 3.660 for their load data for accuracy,
pressure,velocity but the max listed is 3.763.

I have loaded for a couple of them in the past, and really never paid much attention to the listed OAL. Generally I used what ever OAL would function from the magazine, and went from there. These were factory rifles. Some loads worked out great just being able to fit, some I seated in deeper. Since you really cannot hit the lands on them with funtionable rounds, unless it is custom chambered, your really at the extent when you use this method. THey still have nodes like any other rifle, only your generally limited by this length.

In two 300's, I can honestly say that .010" made almost a 1" difference in groups at 100yds. So to complete your answer, yes it can effect it to some degree.

Yes! COL will make difference with accuracy in Weatherby's. As Mike/Tx stated, .010 can make a difference. You have to tune it like any other rifle, powder and bullet combo if you want the accuracy.

I have had really good luck at 3.700" with 200 grain Accubonds in the 300Wby. At 3.65" they didn't group near as well. 3100 is a nice speed for them as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.