Free recoil vs hard hold

This thread is well timed.
Almost all of my shooting is done with a more vertical body position. (Bench, sitting w/sticks, off-hand) Rarely have I ever shot more than a couple rounds at a time prone.
I went out friday and shot 30+ from prone and struggled to get a good fit. Especially when shooting slightly up angle.
Using a bag, so nothing to preload against. I found a medium grip on the for end holding back into the shoulder seemed to work best.
Definately need more practice.

Almost all of my shooting is done with a more vertical body position. (Bench, sitting w/sticks, off-hand) Rarely have I ever shot more than a couple rounds at a time prone.
I went out friday and shot 30+ from prone and struggled to get a good fit. Especially when shooting slightly up angle.
Using a bag, so nothing to preload against. I found a medium grip on the for end holding back into the shoulder seemed to work best.
I don't shoot prone for that very reason. I find my neck and shoulders begin to scream in agony VERY quickly.

Free recoil is when there are no restraints on the weapon. and it is allowed to move freely. With this method many weapons will physically hurt you. Some control of recoil is best. The amount of grip/hold varies from weapon to weapon and shooter to shooter.

I was taught that if you wanted to hold tight, you had to be able to hold that grip for 15 to 20 minutes steady if you want it to be consistent. even though you don't normally hold over one of two minutes, you wont be as consistent as the hold that you can hold almost indefinitely.

Being consistent with your hold is more important that how hard it is
and a medium hold for you, may be a hard hold for someone else.

The hard hold has the benefit of better dampening harmonics but it is hard to duplicate time after time and limits the number of shots that are consistent. so at some point a crushing grip will degrade the accuracy.

In my opinion after shooting many 100 shot matches, a firm but relaxed grip was the best overall because it was natural and repeatable.

Some of these beast we shoot will injure you if you don't hold on to them. But if you grip them to tight trigger control and consistency is out the window.

J E CUSTOM

Free recoil is when there are no restraints on the weapon. and it is allowed to move freely. With this method many weapons will physically hurt you. Some control of recoil is best. The amount of grip/hold varies from weapon to weapon and shooter to shooter.

I was taught that if you wanted to hold tight, you had to be able to hold that grip for 15 to 20 minutes steady if you want it to be consistent. even though you don't normally hold over one of two minutes, you wont be as consistent as the hold that you can hold almost indefinitely.

The hard hold has the benefit of better dampening harmonics but it is hard to duplicate time after time and limits the number of shots that are consistent. so at some point a crushing grip will degrade the accuracy.

In my opinion after shooting many 100 shot matches, a firm but relaxed grip was the best overall because it was natural and repeatable.

Some of these beast we shoot will injure you if you don't hold on to them. But if you grip them to tight trigger control and consistency is out the window.

J E CUSTOM

Spot on as usual.

I've always held them tight (firm hold, no white knuckles). You don't want to give it space to gain speed. I've used that method up to a .375 H&H, and I know it hurts less for me.

Me too on the light yet firm hold. Snug in my shoulder, practically nothing with my off hand. In fact, it's usually on the but stock bag. Got my scope pretty far forward, also. Sumbuck hurts when it gets me, for sure.

I went out Friday and shot 30+ from prone and struggled to get a good fit. Especially when shooting slightly up angle.
I don't shoot prone either. Very firm grips on fore end and trigger hand work best for me in terms of consistency and precision. And of course pulling rifle firmly into pectoral muscle(chest). However it does cause muscle fatigue squeezing so firmly. Waiting for the barrel to cool while breathing deeply helps oxygenate arm muscles to help with fatigue. I just cant get as precise and consistent with a more relaxed hold. Forget about free recoil for me- I don't even bother with that-too much muzzle jump. Part of my precision comes from keeping my eye on the point of aim through the scope lens after I pull the trigger. I truly wish I could use a lighter grip for precise groups- I guess I have to work on that.

Last edited:

J E CUSTOM
I know what you mean. I use a very firm grip with both hands. It causes fatigue but I tough it out to achieve consistency.I have good stamina so it helps control fatigue. You certainly are correct though, and your post has much depth.

Unless shooting benchrest with relatively light recoiling rounds, most shooting will be done with some degree of hold. Once mastered, perhaps other then off a bench, prone should prove to be the most accurate and consistent shooting position. Awkward at first, especially for those of us with older bones, I'd recommend starting from a high bipod and high rear bag position for comfort. Also, keep the shoulders square with the body directly behind the rifle. Use a firm hold but don't over do it. The body/muscles will condition with practice, and you will find that you will be able to handle lower positions. Don't give up too soon!

Unless shooting benchrest with relatively light recoiling rounds, most shooting will be done with some degree of hold. Once mastered, perhaps other then off a bench, prone should prove to be the most accurate and consistent shooting position. Awkward at first, especially for those of us with older bones, I'd recommend starting from a high bipod and high rear bag position for comfort. Also, keep the shoulders square with the body directly behind the rifle. Use a firm hold but don't over do it. The body/muscles will condition with practice, and you will find that you will be able to handle lower positions. Don't give up too soon!

I agree with a good lot of what you have to say, but most everywhere I hunt you would be hard pressed to shoot game prone. Sitting or kneeling is usually the lowest I can go and still see the animal, most of them I shoot standing. For that sticks are a must and you can't shoot free recoil off a set of sticks, or a bi-pod for that matter.

I've had good luck with the free recoil thought when using small calibers and heavier guns

Anything with no weight, some more serious horse power, or a harsh recoil impulse.... I've had to hold much more firmly to stay consistent.

My first centerfire was a 7mm RM also. With a Ruger hard rubber buttpad. Painful recoil so I got a pad. Hasn't bothered me since.

When it comes to managing recoil, I tend to use a light hold on the forearm and a firm hold on the grip, with the rifle pulled back into my shoulder. Some of the light kickers I often dont even touch the forearm when shooting from a rest. Do that with my .338WM and I'd b e picking it up off the ground.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.