Free Recoil calculation spreadsheet

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
I created this Excel file several years ago.

Input the weight of the rifle, bullet and powder charge, add the bullet velocity, stir well and it spits out the ft-lbs of recoil.

Click on the link below to download the Excel file.

Attachments

• RECOIL.XLS
    35 KB · Views: 3,867
Last edited:
There's not sufficient input information to determine the average velocity vector of the molecules of the propellant gas. Certainly barrel length, expansion ratio, propellant pressure (or temperature) and the effect of a brake (if any) imake a difference in recoil even though all the parameters used in this spreadsheet are held constant.

Some programs (like Quickload) give one recoil emergy calculation as the bullet passes the crown and another value after the propellant has exited the barrel. The first number is the same wiith or without a brake. The second can be more or less with a brake and can be considerably different. Quickload however doesn't calculate the effect of a brake. Brake manufactures dont give performace data which can be used in calculations, at least none that I've seen.

This spreadsheet appears to be the result of empirically fitting of measured data from tests on typical rifles without brakes. For that I expect it works fairly well.

There's not sufficient input information to determine the average velocity vector of the molecules of the propellant gas. Certainly barrel length, expansion ratio, propellant pressure (or temperature) and the effect of a brake (if any) imake a difference in recoil even though all the parameters used in this spreadsheet are held constant.

Whatever. :):):)

How big is the difference in recoil between different powders (fast burning vs slow burning).

Thanks anyway. It is still a good tool to compare different calibers and loads.

Input the weight of the rifle, bullet and powder charge, add the bullet velocity, stir well and it spits out the ft-lbs of recoil.

You guys are a bunch of PUSSYS!!!!! You cant handle recoil?

Thanks Len, very much appreciated. Cheers Tom

Lou Boyd?
I have been doing gun forums since before the www on the old usenet, rec.guns. back in 1994.
That is back when intelligent people were on the internet.

My work with recoil was mainly to figure out that the threshold of pain is near 20 psi.
The free recoil must be applied to the area of the recoil pad and the time to compress it.

Recent Posts