Free Recoil calculation spreadsheet

I created this Excel file several years ago.

Input the weight of the rifle, bullet and powder charge, add the bullet velocity, stir well and it spits out the ft-lbs of recoil.

Click on the link below to download the Excel file.
I downloaded to my phone but does not take an entry Maybe try my laptop
Any suggestions
Regards

Here is one I did recently. Math shown on task bar.
Screenshot (244).png

Need more info on workings for Powder/gas velocity - sort of fuzzy on that - jet effect.

M-S apparently has a new procedure for sharing excel workings & this involves sending a link to other selected email addresses, having access to M-S office, to allow access to excel files for only viewing, viewing/modification or down-load for off-line work. Time limits may also be imposed. I use Apache open office software (free) and down-load M-S office excel spread sheets to my file list to work with Apache open office off-line. Spread sheets may be sent back to M-S office by clicking on excel ID'd spread sheets found under 'documents". The nice M-S man, having temp control of my machine, patiently guided me thru the process. Just under $7 per month for M-S office subscription, not that bad.

Spread sheets are sure useful for shooting. Thank-you.

Here is one I did recently. Math shown on task bar.View attachment 311680
1 item that I am not sure of: Powder/gas velocity, ft per sec. 5200. Question is that a standard on Powder/gas velocity. In all my years loading I hadn't either looked at that or wasn't aware of that. It makes senses, but kind of lost me. The formal is easies enough to understand and set up.

I created this Excel file several years ago.

Input the weight of the rifle, bullet and powder charge, add the bullet velocity, stir well and it spits out the ft-lbs of recoil.

Click on the link below to download the Excel file.
when i downloaded the file it came out with no titles for the three columns on the far right side. can you tell me what the titles are for these three columns?? thanks..

Bill, no titles. Left blank intentionally. They were used by me in the formula creation only.

A 12 GA recoil can hurt! My Rem 870 loaded with 1 OZ 00 buck or same weight slug had recoil, but the light weight 06 hurt more.

Screenshot (824).png

This is the olde kinetic energy formula E = ((m*v)^2)/2
where E is foot pounds,
m = mass in slugs (gun weight in pounds/acceleration of gravity giving slugs), acceleration of gravity = 32.163 fps/fps,
v = gun velocity in feet per second
^2 indicates values squared
/ Indicates division

The gun velocity is shown by:

Screenshot (825).png

The gun velocity is calculated by:

Vg = ((bullet wt. * bullet velocity) +(powder wt. * gas velocity))/(gun weight in pounds * 7000)

This calculates gun velocity by dividing total momentum by gun weight in grains.

Finally, the kinetic energy is determined by using gun velocity & other.

Just guessing that gas velocities would be less with lower pressure 12GA loads than 06 loads.

Of interest, at one time had a 12 pound 6.5-06 with a 14X, 1 1/2-inch Unertl scope. The scope was about 18 inches long and had external adjustments, like the entire scope moved vs. reticle image inside scope. The scope also had an external recoil spring that returned the scope to position after the shot. Upon making the shot I could feel the spring compress then decompress as it pushed the scope back. The sort of heavy steel tube scope with spring was acting like a recoil buffer. The recoil impulse was delayed making felt recoil softer.

Last edited:
A 12 GA recoil can hurt! My Rem 870 loaded with 1 OZ 00 buck or same weight slug had recoil, but the light weight 06 hurt more.

Screenshot (824).png

This is the olde kinetic energy formula E = ((m*v)^2)/2
where E is foot pounds,
m = mass in slugs (gun weight in pounds/acceleration of gravity giving slugs), acceleration of gravity = 32.163 fps/fps,
v = gun velocity in feet per second
^2 indicates values squared
/ Indicates division

The gun velocity is shown by:

Screenshot (825).png

The gun velocity is calculated by:

Vg = ((bullet wt. * bullet velocity) +(powder wt. * gas velocity))/(gun weight in pounds * 7000)

This calculates gun velocity by dividing total momentum by gun weight in grains.

Finally, the kinetic energy is determined by using gun velocity & other.

Just guessing that gas velocities would be less with lower pressure 12GA loads than 06 loads.

Of interest, at one time had a 12 pound 6.5-06 with a 14X, 1 1/2-inch Unertl scope. The scope was about 18 inches long and had external adjustments, like the entire scope moved vs. reticle image inside scope. The scope also had an external recoil spring that returned the scope to position after the shot. Upon making the shot I could feel the spring compress then decompress as it pushed the scope back. The sort of heavy steel tube scope with spring was acting like a recoil buffer. The recoil impulse was delayed making felt recoil softer.
Unertl?