Free Recoil calculation spreadsheet

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Len Backus, Nov 13, 2006.

1. Clark

Clark Well-Known Member

Lou Boyd?
    I have been doing gun forums since before the www on the old usenet, rec.guns. back in 1994.
    That is back when intelligent people were on the internet.

My work with recoil was mainly to figure out that the threshold of pain is near 20 psi.
    The free recoil must be applied to the area of the recoil pad and the time to compress it.

2. Clark

Clark Well-Known Member

I am amazed to see the great 1990s gun forum poster Louis Boyd show up alive in 2017.

My father made a parabolic taper hydraulic system for recoil in the 1950s on the M55 contract.
    The equation shows up much later in a different gun
    https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/pdfs/US4353285.pdf

He was using this book
    https://www.amazon.com/Elements-Ordinance-Colonel-Thomas-Hayes/dp/B016FU7YBG
    Hayes Elements of Ordinance.
    The math in that book is senior engineering or graduate level, but the center of the mass of the gas contribution to momentum is jr. high math. It is 4,000 fps.

Phoeniceltic likes this.
  3. TracySes23

TracySes23 Well-Known Member

Thanks Len,

I'm a fan of your "Recoil Calculator". It was interesting to discover the recoil of my 17.5 pound Bench Rifle chambered for 22-250 has between 2.6 & 3.5 ft/lbs recoil depending on which bullet I choose.
    It appears as though the next column to the right calculates 500 yard energy in ft/lbs. Would I be correct in my assumption?

4. Len Backus

Len Backus Administrator Staff Member

It's been a long time but I think that is intended as to be at the rifle, so zero yards.

5. joep17

joep17 Well-Known Member

Great work Len
    We all want info and data to help us get better.

6. joep17

joep17 Well-Known Member

I tried to quote something else and the result might not be read correctly.

I really like the info Len put forward. The quote I wanted was the other gentlemans complaints.

7. DMP25-06

DMP25-06 Well-Known Member

I have just found this thread , and I say " Thank You , Mr. Backus ."
    By just opening your chart , one can quickly find a comparable rifle weight , cartridge , bullet , and velocity combination that is near their preferred rifle , and , at a glance , get a close approximation of the foot-pounds of recoil energy that will be generated , and received into your shoulder after pulling the trigger .

8. Ty.338

Ty.338 Active Member

thanks.