Free Floating forearm on Winchester 1885

Why would you want to change the fore end, Just bed it to the hanger with a little clearance. this will float the fore end. the fore end is supported by this hanger and can be shimmed just enough to float the barrel.

Some people just wrap the barrel with one or two layers of tape and then bed the hanger. After the bedding has cured, removing the tape will give you the clearance.

J E CUSTOM

I've placed shims in it and it is still tight on the sides of barrel to forearm with an obvious gap between center line of barrel and center of forearm. So seems like the fix is shims and a little sanding on the sides of forearm.

Keep In mind that you don't have to have much clearance, just enough to keep the forearm from applying any pressure to the barrel. With two piece stocks adding a big gap doesn't help.

As long as It is not bearing on the barrel it is as good as you can get. If you have to sand the sides a little a flat piece of wood with sandpaper on it will do Ok.

Floating the forearm on two piece stocks may not improve the accuracy, but it should improve the consistency.

Good luck

J E CUSTOM

I have the Miroku version . Trigger is at Lee Shavers shop and today I sanded and sanded and sanded the forearm and placed two metal shims measuring.080( Two pieces of 1/8 welding rod hammered to that thickness). So now I can slide a dollar bill up and down the forearm with minimal resistance. ( Before it was impossible)I Checked the free Float job done on Nosler rifles and their gap is larger.( Now I'm wondering if I sanded enough?) So now waiting for return package of trigger from Lee Shavers shop to test out my free floating job in Forearm........ If it doesn't get here by 9/1,I'll be throwing rocks at Montana prairie dogs..... LOL

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.