Free bore for the 230 Berger

So given a bullet with a bering surface length of .549 and a neck length of .323 I would need to have a parallel freebore length of .1766 to seat the bullet with the base of the bering surface at the neck shoulder junction?

What angle do you use to calculate the distance from the case mouth to the beginning of the parallel freebore? I don't think I have ever seen that on a print just a dimension for the lead.
I was using .529" for the bullet bearing surface length so, if you change it to .549", you need to add .020" to my number.

The most common angle for the transition from the neck to the freebore is 45°. There are some that are different. I just did a 35 Whelen. It was 30°.

I was using .529" for the bullet bearing surface length so, if you change it to .549", you need to add .020" to my number.

The most common angle for the transition from the neck to the freebore is 45°. There are some that are different. I just did a 35 Whelen. It was 30°.

Thanks!

Here is the official 300 Norma print.

Attachments

• 300 Norma Magnum CIP.pdf
    22.4 KB · Views: 163
I am in the process of getting a couple reamers drawn up and was wondering what everyone was using for free bore for the 230 berger hybrid targets. The calibers in question are 30-338 Norma improved 33 degree, 300 RUM, 30-338 Lapua imp. 40 degree. All of my measurements and calculations put the correct free bore at approx. .225-.230 depending on the neck length required. After dealing with short throated magnums before a little extra free bore does not bother me and is actually preferred. If anyone has any suggestions it would be appreciated.

Make up a dummy round and send it to a reamer maker and get a minimum spec reamer made to match your dummy round.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.