Free bore and COAL question

Lahunter76

Hello, my rifle was cut in a non saami chamber 30Nosler.
It's was cut 3.6 and .225 free bore…..
Shooting Hornady 212 ELDX,

Question because I am a very novice reloader
If I want my bullet closer to the lands, say .25 off, do I move my bullet out more to say a 3.8(box length) would I be at .25 jump?

I started this process last year and felt good, but really hit a wall then did a lil more testing. But just trying to make sure I am doing this correct or if I am off base.

Hello, my rifle was cut in a non saami chamber 30Nosler.
It's was cut 3.6 and .225 free bore…..
Shooting Hornady 212 ELDX,

Question because I am a very novice reloader
If I want my bullet closer to the lands, say .25 off, do I move my bullet out more to say a 3.8(box length) would I be at .25 jump?

I started this process last year and felt good, but really hit a wall then did a lil more testing. But just trying to make sure I am doing this correct or if I am off base.
.250" or .025"? I am not sure what tool you are using but measure where your bullet touches the lands and then back off to .XXX. I do not know what it relates to your 3.8" box length, but you need to find the best compromise of your COAL/CBTO that will safely load in your magazine.

Before you fall deeper into this rabbit hole, start off by cutting 2 opposite slits in a case, remove all burrs and size it.
Place a bullet just into the neck, carefully chamber it and close the bolt and open it and carefully extract the case. Do this several times to make sure nothing is moving and measure the COAL each time.
If the numbers keep coming out the same or very very close, then that's your touch measurement, work BACKWARDS/DEEPER into the case from this number .025".
I cut my chambers so that the preferred bullet has the bullet heal level with the neck/shoulder juncture, if this is what you have had done then this is what I would load for regardless of the arbitrary mag box or throat length.

Cheers.

If you're doing a seating depth test and still want to use your mag, start at absolute mag length and work backwards, seating deeper.

Ok! So got in this morning, took an unloaded round and seated just barely into the case(could remove with hand) I then marked it with a marker….

My coal max length according to that was
3.638, so going to take this length and do a -.025, -.020, -.015, -.010 and do same charge weight.

Ty all for your info