Frames to hold metal GONGS

Steve7mm08

I have just aquired two metal gongs for shooting.

I want to have them on a portable frame that preferably folds flat for transportation and storage purposes.

Can you guys please post up some pics of your frames to give me a few new ideas.

My steel gongs are 375mm square, 16mm thick

My gong hanger doesn't go completely flat but almost. It is just four legs that are made out of pipe and they slide up into a crossbar with 90 degree angle pipe welded together. Then there are two loops welded on the crossbar for the bailing wire which holds up the gong. It is simple and very sturdy. It can be set up on a hillside or on flat ground.

gongclose.jpg

You are welcome. I wish I had a better picture of my setup but that was all I could find.

Another couple things I would mention:

Some guys use chain or bungee cords to attach the gong to the stand. I would recommend against this. If someone hits the chain, you're skrewed unless you have a welder at the range or some backup links or sections and that is more expensive. Bungees get shredded by bullet bits really fast and are too bouncy. Bailing wire is cheap, handy, and easy to fix if someone cuts it. Just tie another loop and twist and you're good to go.

Also, in the picture above, my gong is painted yellow with a black border. This is NOT a good color for long range shooting. It is actually very hard to see most of the time. The only reason why mine is painted this color is because there was really thick fog that morning and our normal color of white blended in so well that we couldn't see it! But normally, under every other condition, white shows up best of the several dozen different colors I've tried.

Hi there
My gongs are set up on steel standards, 16mm SS with chains and D shackles.

The standards are permanent but I take the Gongs home for a Dulux refit after each session(they need it!!)

I know its not what you were after, but if you have regular access to a place why not make them permanent! Steel standards NEW are $5.50 each from RD1 no welding required just a BIG HAMMER.

If you are in the Waikato PM me, I set the range up but Im more than happy to share it with like minded people.

Regards 300WSMMAD

One of the local guys got ahold of used conveyor belt scrap and cuts it to size to hold the targets (he attaches it w/ carriage bolts thru square holes cut in the top of the target at the time of manufacture). Good stuff, and it can take numerous hits and the bullets just go right on thru. Given the shape of the head of the carriage bolt, even a direct hit on it usually deflects and doesn't ruin it.

Hi 300WSMMAD,
I'm currently off shore but will soon be moving back to Hamilton; and I have a 6.5mm/08AI to put some finishing touches to and get shooting. One can never have enough long range places to shoot. I will drop you a PM.

IMG_0093.jpg

We use larger steel T's now and heavier rebarb if hte steel plate is bigger but everything is the same.
Practical and easy to set-up and take down.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts