Foxes

Drbill Knows of what he speaks. The comfort zone definitely is an issue. Sneaking up on them is really not all that tough. They sleep pretty sound when they are out in the open and as long as environmental conditions stay in your favor you can make a few mistakes and still put them in the bag. (ie: with the sun low and at my back, gusty winds changing directions, I have XC skied to easy rifle range ( I use a 17 Rem, 22 Mag, 22 Hornet ) on bare /Wide-open snow packed fields.... took my time and layed down like I was on a shooting range and killed them in their beds. Be willing to make some mistakes and you'll learn.............. It ain't rocket science!

hi here in the uk i go to poundstretcher store like a dollar store, And i go to the pet aisle where people look at me stupid as im pressing all the squeaky toys until i get one that has a similar sound to a squealing rabbit and a good volume, the cost about a dollar, over the years ive shot 1000s of red fox with things that cost peanuts hope this helps someone

Over the years I have noticed that fox and cats seem to like a higher pitch then coyote do as well as a lower volume . And like shooter53 I too take the squeaker out of pet toys . A small dog will let you know which one will have the better calling sound till you figure out what it sounds like . If you have an e-call use the rodent , small rabbit and some of the bird sounds they are on the small end of the predator scale and aren't out looking for large prey animals . Loud sounds tend to scare them . A nice 12 gauge with bb's works well for them or I run my 223 with 55 grain Sierra bthp's at around 2900 feet per second mv .

Yes i do tend to go with DSheetz to try them with a dog or cat to see the reaction, ive also used the shotgun but i have found aaa loads better than bb,s range wise, but ive shot them with bb,s when i cant get triple a,s DSheetz is very a knowledgeable guy who both you and i can learn a lot off, and also some of the sounds are better than than primos for a 10th of the price, ive even shot them with a piece of glass and some polystyrene rubbing them together with some spit

There are some good videos out of Australia I watched on Utube last night. They use a widgeon whistle...Sounds diff. than ours though.
i always had one in my pocket if you get one make sure you wash it once a week or you will have lots of sore throats as you will suck in old spit, we used to make similar with two brass ends of 12g cartridges the small brass type about 3/8" knock the primers out put one inside the other and tighten with a small vice old tricks from old dogs

And they still work shooter53 , maybe because not very many people are using them at this time as the e-callers are so popular . I washed my calls with warm water and mild dish soap often especially the open reed calls .

And they still work shooter53 , maybe because not very many people are using them at this time as the e-callers are so popular . I washed my calls with warm water and mild dish soap often especially the open reed calls .
my mate i used to shoot with always used the whistling wigeon and reed calls and always had a sore throat the next day,(we nicknamed him throaty) as soon as he started washing them he was ok, anyway happy new year to you all

Drbill Knows of what he speaks. The comfort zone definitely is an issue. Sneaking up on them is really not all that tough. They sleep pretty sound when they are out in the open and as long as environmental conditions stay in your favor you can make a few mistakes and still put them in the bag. (ie: with the sun low and at my back, gusty winds changing directions, I have XC skied to easy rifle range ( I use a 17 Rem, 22 Mag, 22 Hornet ) on bare /Wide-open snow packed fields.... took my time and layed down like I was on a shooting range and killed them in their beds. Be willing to make some mistakes and you'll learn.............. It ain't rocket science!
sell your guns ,buy a baseball bat

At this time of the year where I live the vixens should be starting to smell a little skunky as they start into heat .