Found a Great Extreme Long Range Shooting Spot

barnesuser28

Found an awesome spot to shoot ELR out to 1950 yards according to google earth, with many small banks with dirt clumps and rocks on them, would be perfect spot to set up some steel. It is also in an area where we have seen many mule deer and is rich in coyotes so we will keep an eye out when sending some copper. :) gun)
Now we just need a rangefinder capable of ranging a coyote at 1500 yards. :cool:

There are some rolling hills so it should make judging the wind tricky and create some updrafts just to screw with me :D. I need the practice anyway.

Hopefully we will be able to make it out there next weekend and get some practice in before we leave for my late season cow elk hunt in Montrose Colorado with Camp David Outfitting (great outfitter and extremely kind IMHO).

If anyone is passing through the area and would like to do some shooting let me know and if the date and time work out we could show you the area and do some shooting.

Riley

It is about 45 minutes from my house but it is near where we go pheasant hunting alot so...... The 280 grain LRX goes subsonic at 1640 yards so at 1900 we will see how they do subsonic, at 1900 yards i need 94.7 MOA up from the 338 Lapua but we only have about 65 MOA in the scope so we will have to dial 60 MOA and hold (if my calculations are right) 10 Mils in the tmr leupold scope.

Last edited:
On sunday afternoon we went out there to confirm on some closer shots (around 800 yards) with google earth and sure enough just because we dont have the 338 Lapua we see a coyote walking around at 750 yards :rolleyes:. Allwell, but you can sure bet we wont be without that gun when hunting again. gun)

Smoke Stick, Welcome to LRH! We are planning to shoot on saturday. Will let you know how it goes!

Wow lucky you, I would be so so happy if I could find a place like that with in 6 hours of my home.

Ditto! I'd call it heaven. A number of properties we once could shoot on are no longer available. Owners pass on and the heirs either sell, develop or simply tell us we no longer have permission.

Sorry to hear about that guys, good luck in finding a good shooting spot. The shot will actually be at or real close to 1840 yards because we will have to get about 45-50 yards from the road to get a clear shot, we will be shooting east and the wind should ( i say that lightly 'cause you never know in ND) be blowing from the west at 8-12 mph so the wind shouldnt be too hard to deal with. gun)

Muzzleloader season starts on friday and we just got permission to hunt some land where we saw a 155-160" gross whitetail buck. :cool:

Good luck to everyone going hunting this weekend!

Riley

Smoke Stick, Welcome to LRH! We are planning to shoot on saturday. Will let you know how it goes!
HI thank you very much . I' have been just starting to play at this I have been practicing in a river coulee my longest shot on a Mule deer to date is just over 500yrds .I have a Rem Sendero in 300ultra with a rifle basic trigger and a 6500bushnell scope and 185 bergers and a 223 with a Burris tactical scope to keep some of the practicing reasonably priced . But have come to the conclusion that I need a better range finder than the 1500arc I now own.As you may guess by my name I shoot BPCR Silhouette Here is a Pic of where I shoot here in southern Alberta we were shooting 1000 yrds at the rock which in the pic is a red dot just for fun we tried the 45-70 after the shot You could count One' Two'Three Hit had to wind the sight 3/4 of the way up LOL I hope you have a good day.
Longrange.jpg

Sweet, it looks like you got a great spot to shoot and a couple great Long range rigs. You could probably push it out even further by the looks of it.

At 1840 yards we need to dial 53.4 MOA and hold 10 MILS in the reticule LOL.

My longest kill is an antelope at 486 yards this year with a 338 Lapua and 280 grain Barnes LRX. gun)

Ditto! I'd call it heaven. A number of properties we once could shoot on are no longer available. Owners pass on and the heirs either sell, develop or simply tell us we no longer have permission.

Makes me realize how lucky I am I could easily back it off to 2000+yrds the place is so vast
and I'm only 45min. from home I just love being out there away from the big City LOL 60000People

Rangrfinder issues. One word.

Vectronix.

Go to the "Long range scopes and other optics" fourm on this sight and look for "Post 2...Swaro Vs Vectronix" thread.

Sound like you found "the spot".

Have fun

Looks like a great spot, it's way fun shooting that far and greatly improves you shooting closer. You can down load Range Card on a smart phone and it works great for ranging using GPS until you get a Vectronix!!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.