Found a consistent load with the RUM & 225 ELD-M

Overkill338

Was taking advantage of the sunshine and 55⁰ today, and shooting my 300 RUM over the chrono. I had five rounds loaded, with 87 grains of RL25 with the 225 ELD-M seated at 3.60"

This is what I got.

Seems consistent enough, I don't guess I HAVE to push it over 3000. I didn't have a target setup, just shooting to get a feel for the new trigger really.

I also tried 89gr RL25 with the 200gr LRX.

Last edited:
That's some really good ES. Hope it proves to punch small groups as well. I think you could get more out of it if you had the fairy dust RL26 but with what you are getting if it groups well then your probably only looking at something like another minute on the scope for dial. I would rather have a great groups and low ES than great speed with not the best accuracy. Are those mag feed or are you single feeding?. Also sounds like you have a stable load. I would go out and shoot some fore groups and at distance to see how they fly.

That's some really good ES. Hope it proves to punch small groups as well. I think you could get more out of it if you had the fairy dust RL26 but with what you are getting if it groups well then your probably only looking at something like another minute on the scope for dial. I would rather have a great groups and low ES than great speed with not the best accuracy. Are those mag feed or are you single feeding?. Also sounds like you have a stable load. I would go out and shoot some fore groups and at distance to see how they fly.
They can be mag fed. I haven't even started messing with seating depth yet, thats just standard spec.

As far as accuracy, I've got to start all over. My old nemesis is back 🤬🤬🤬🤬
20201231_142015.jpg

Maximum speed relates to max pressure and that is not where maximum precision is necessarily found. With a 60K psi max pressure load in the 50-55K psi range normally give good results.

I like to relate rifle pressures to a motor car. You do not drive it at 6000 revs all the time. 4 to 5000 revs give ample performance and reduces wear and tear.

Maximum speed relates to max pressure and that is not where maximum precision is necessarily found. With a 60K psi max pressure load in the 50-55K psi range normally give good results.

I like to relate rifle pressures to a motor car. You do not drive it at 6000 revs all the time. 4 to 5000 revs give ample performance and reduces wear and tear.
When I started this, I said I'd be happy with 2800 fps, and did all my estimates with that. So 2920's isn't bad at all. I hope accuracy matches consistency.

I made a load up a few years ago with RL 26 and the Hornady 220 grains at mag length. It was getting 3123 on average. I know really fast but at almost max load data it was almost unbelievable. Now you cant find RL26. I told myself I was going to try H1000 since it seem alot of 300RUM users got decent speed and it seem to be very consistent. Slowing some thangs down also might give me more barrel life. I don't shoot my RUM that much at all though. I practice with a smaller rifle throughout the year and then shoot maybe 2 boxes of practice ammo before a hunt. If I was to do it over again I would probably had went with a 338 Lapua. A little more money in components but I think you have a little better barrel life and you can find quality cases easy. Also I think you can run a 285 ELD at 28 to 2900 is my guess but I'm not sure on that.

I made a load up a few years ago with RL 26 and the Hornady 220 grains at mag length. It was getting 3123 on average. I know really fast but at almost max load data it was almost unbelievable. Now you cant find RL26. I told myself I was going to try H1000 since it seem alot of 300RUM users got decent speed and it seem to be very consistent. Slowing some thangs down also might give me more barrel life. I don't shoot my RUM that much at all though. I practice with a smaller rifle throughout the year and then shoot maybe 2 boxes of practice ammo before a hunt. If I was to do it over again I would probably had went with a 338 Lapua. A little more money in components but I think you have a little better barrel life and you can find quality cases easy. Also I think you can run a 285 ELD at 28 to 2900 is my guess but I'm not sure on that.
I would have been happier if this particular rifle had been a .300 Win Mag. This rifle has less than 100 total rounds through it, but Ive had some ideas for a rebarrel. Kind of want a 1:8 .264 Win Mag. Then again, a 7 WSM on the long action could be fun. Too many options lol

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.