Forster ultra seater die cuts into bullet

GW Hunter

I just purchased a Forster Ultra micrometer seater die. Followed the instructions and stripped it down to thoroughly clean it. Used it tonight for the first time and am happy with the fine adjustment available with the die, but on the first two bullets that I seated (Barnes TTSX), it cut a ring where the stem meets the ogive. I stopped at two tries for fear of damaging more bullets. Anyone else ever notice this issue?

Just polish the edge a little and you will be GTG. I use a Crax (sp) bob and a dremel. I think I have polished all of mine at one time or another. you could use some rolled up emery cloth (fine) and do it by hand if you don't have a dremel.

If you send the stem back to them with the bullet you intend to use, they will customize the stem to your bullet to minimize the "ring".

Are you seating compressed loads?

When I got my Redding Comp dies I had a similar problem. Redding make VLD seating stems which solved my issue. Maybe Forster do something similar but I am sure polishing would also work.

My redding competion dies will do the same thing with VLD bullets. Just clean up the inner edge of the seating stem per above just try not to do so much that you deform the tip of the TTSX some times you will have to add add depth to the inside of the seating stem as well.

Forster probably will do that for you per Brentc above.

Good luck and shoot straight

What are you doing in terms of case neck prep? How are you sizing, and assuring proper neck tension? Using some graphite or other lube when seating? Is your brass freshly cleaned with stainless media?

I ask all these questions, as there are lots of determinants that effect case neck tension. Too much seating force will also cause rings on the bullets. But more critically, seating force and neck tension, if variable, lead to inaccuracy.

All the other suggestions are correct too -- but I have a number of Forster micrometer dies and don't get rings with them. I strive for just enough tension to keep things stable....

depending on the cartridge and how it's used its not always wise to use light neck tension. There are some setups I use only .001 and its fine but I also have a few I use .004.

Have had the same issue especially with turned pure copper monos. I polish all my seating stems as there is no benefit I can think of to the sharp edge in the cone. Its a few mins and its gtg.

glad it worked. While they should be properly finished the small amount of cleanup is certainly thge quicker easier option.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts