Forster ultra micrometer seating die problems

GW Hunter

Purchased one of these recently and thought I was in heaven. That is until I found out that using it on a compressed load flares the seating stem, which causes it to bind up in the sliding sleeve. I just sent it back to Forster for the second time to get it repaired. Safe to say, I won't be using this much since most of my loads are compressed for that caliber. Does anyone know of other micrometer dies that can handle the pressure of seating over a compressed load? Any opinions are appreciated...

Redding state in their instructions not to use their micrometer seating dies with compressed loads for the same reason you have found with the Forster dies. The RCBS micrometer seating dies appear to work in a different fashion so maybe it could be worth giving them a call.

None of the micrometer seaters are recommended for heavy compression. I would try to find a powder with a better fill percentage. I suppose the Weatherby already has a generous freebore, so I would suggest a different powder. With all the powders we now have, I'm sure you find one that will work. OR, you can buy a dozen seater stems. Only other thing I can think of is a Wilson style seater.

None of the micrometer seaters are recommended for heavy compression. I would try to find a powder with a better fill percentage. I suppose the Weatherby already has a generous freebore, so I would suggest a different powder. With all the powders we now have, I'm sure you find one that will work. OR, you can buy a dozen seater stems. Only other thing I can think of is a Wilson style seater.
Yea... not many options. Tough to give up on as load that shoots <3/4". Guess i'll just have to seat the old fashioned way with that one.

I had the same problem with mine, only my load wasn't compressed. Brass was annealed, very little seating pressure. It actually cracked the seating stem in mine twice! I did the repair myself the last time by bedding the stem to the bullet I was shooting.

You could also start the seating with the Forster and finish with another.

I had the same problem with mine, only my load wasn't compressed. Brass was annealed, very little seating pressure. It actually cracked the seating stem in mine twice! I did the repair myself the last time by bedding the stem to the bullet I was shooting.

You could also start the seating with the Forster and finish with another.

I had problems with the seating die crushing the tip of pointed bullets , such as Berger and Barnes. I had to recut the angle on the seating stem. And had no more. Problems the tips being crushed

I use all Forster dies but I don't have the micrometer, just the regular seater die but I believe it works the same way and has the same seating stem. I haven't had any issues seating compressed loads.

Load Density.jpg

http://www.xxicsi.com/powder-funnel.html

In 2006 I had bullets sticking in the Forster seater stem.
They made the cut and then deburred it.
But they did not de burr their deburr.
I polished it off with steel wool.

Since then I have been told the best method is to buy a seating stem for each bullet model and glass bed the stem's concave surface to fit the bullet tip.

But I have not had any trouble lately and I now own ~21 Forster seater dies.

Attachments

• Forster seating stem, Q-tip, 0000 steel wool,.jpg
    Forster seating stem, Q-tip, 0000 steel wool,.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 266
Last edited:
Yea... not many options. Tough to give up on as load that shoots <3/4". Guess i'll just have to seat the old fashioned way with that one.
I have a standard Forster benchrest seating die for my 7mm Wea mag and have never had any problems. Some of the loads were compressed,but only slightly. I have never been a fan of heavy compressed loads. What is the load you are using.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.