Form 1- Build your own suppressor

Chase723

Just putting this out there since the topic of suppressors has come up quite a bit recently. People get intimidated by the process. DON'T BE. It's easy. You have 2 options to get one, a Form 4 (buy one from a Class 3 FFL) or Form 1 (build one). You need either a trust or can file as an individual. For anyone who wants a suppressor but doesn't really want to wait a year, you're in luck. Form 1 wait times to roll your own are currently 3-5 WEEKS. That's right, 3-5 weeks. I submitted 3 of them on Nov 7 and received 2 back on Dec 1 and just received the 3rd one back today. The application is very straightforward and ONLINE via the ATF eForms website. There's a couple good tutorials on YouTube for the entire process. Go watch them and get that process started!

Can you really build something that is as good as what you can buy? Yes. Absolutely. Form 1 stuff has come a long ways in the past 5 years and I would put my Form 1 builds up against anything, for both suppression and accuracy. There's a lot of knowledge out there. Suppressors are actually pretty basic things and it doesn't take a rocket doctor to put one together. One excellent resource in particular is a guy on YouTube and Patreon called Silencer student. He tests a ton of stuff with dB meters and so what you take from it is backed by real data. Check him out. You will be glad you did.

Cost- it can be substantially more affordable to build your own, or costs can be similar to the Form 4 route…it can be a rabbit hole for some people. Regardless the Form 1 route will cut your wait time by 11-13 MONTHS. Depending on design, my cans cost me $230-300/each + $200 stamp to build. All titanium except the baffles which are stainless. Equivalent Form 4s are $1100-1700.

Aesthetics- You can very easily make something that looks as finished and professional as you want it to.

If you've ever wanted one, now seems like as good of a time as ever but one thing is certain. The clock never starts until you submit the paperwork.

Just got my second one in 9 months. My class 3 dealer just confirmed today that the new e-file system launches Dec 15th and they estimate wait times will be 90 days by summer. Most dealers are holding paperwork until the system launches and they'll be slammed to start but still faster than the current system. They also said sales are through the roof preparing for this with anticipation of short wait times so availability will be rough for awhile.

I was a bit surprised about building a "Suppressor" - Is it LEGAL? Just like building a SBR.
We have built several SBRs -easy to build, but you need to have it registered and get a TAX STAMP.
My advice is check with the ATF.
Here is a link to build suppressors, but follow the ATF to be legal!

I would suggest that you know what you are doing as far as machining as suppressor. If you make a mistake-it may cost you serious injury!
I have "Heard" of shooters making a suppressor out of "OIL FILTERS"
Also heard of exploding the end of the barrel and eye/face/hand/body injury.
We own a half dozen cans and like them for noise suppression and actually got better groups (just like a tuner) on the end of the barrel-works both ways). The only reason that you need a Tax Stamp is just that "TAX". Either side of the isle will not give up the money generated by the TAX STAMPS. Suppressors have nothing to do with CHRIME. The TAX STAMP is just for MONEY.
We won't buy another suppressor due to the high cost. Suppressor Manufactures have been raping the public for years. If Suppressors did not have a TAX and sold like in Europe, the cost would be down to about 30% or less of current costs. No TAX in Europe in fact some areas they want a hunter to use suppressors.
BIG SCAM IN THE USA!!!
The problem is that if you are caught with a suppressor that is not registered to you-you go to jail and big fines-SUCKS.
The "Hearing Act" was proposed to be passed the last 20 years to allow Suppressors used on firearms. Never PASSED. WHY??? MONEY. There was a study that it is over a billion$ in TAX revenue. Republicans & Dems won't give up taxing us.
Another thing while we pay for a TAX STAMP a lot of STATES will not allow Suppressors for HUNTING??? WHY?? thought that Suppressors were involved in crime? What crime is hunting animals???
This all come down to the elected officials in our Local, State and Federal Governments.
Everyone has to think about what political party they are voting for and really look at the policies. This goes from your City, County, State on up. You just can't vote "Party" Straight up the line. Everyone has a responsibility/duty when voting for the laws/policies that effects all of us.
We are the "Republic of The United States". If you don't know what our Country was founded on look it up, research, and educate yourself.
I would guess that if you asked, Today, Citizens in the United States - what our "Republic of the United States" Stand for - 75% would not know what is being asked. They would say we are a Democracy.
SAD
That is why we have stupid laws and policies - people don't know what or who they are voting for. We vote the Politicians in- the politicians make the policies and laws-the public does not!

If you pay for the tax stamp, and get approved, suppressors are legal to own and hunt with in something like 42 states. Check your states laws. Chances are it's legal.

Boring concentric holes in baffles can be accomplished with a jig and/or them being center marked. You can also use a lathe but it's not completely necessary. Having a bore diameter close to the caliber diameter has a pretty minimal effect on sound reduction. Like 3 dB. Other things in the design have a much more significant effect (I.e. clipping and volume). Therefore drilling the baffle 60-100 thou over the caliber diameter for clearance to avoid a baffle strike is recommended, and doesn't impede the performance of the can really at all.

Do not use aluminum for anything other than 22lr. It can't stand the pressure. Titanium or steel, no problem.

Last edited:
This is definitely an interesting proposition. A little intimidating, but worth a look. Metal working typically requires a skilled and experienced person with the appropriate tools and equipment to achieve the desired result. When you are dealing with a potentially deadly device, you better know what you are doing.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this.

I went the Form 1 route for my rimfire suppressor and it's been awesome. Took 3 weeks to be approved. I purchased a "solvent trap" now called a "Form 1 kit" from quietbore.com. Very smooth process, especially with the jig for the baffles. They have a few options for centerfire rifle and pistol as well.

This is definitely an interesting proposition. A little intimidating, but worth a look. Metal working typically requires a skilled and experienced person with the appropriate tools and equipment to achieve the desired result. When you are dealing with a potentially deadly device, you better know what you are doing.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this.
Your rifle isn't going to explode if you get a baffle strike. It may shoot the can off, shoot a hole in it, or rupture it but it's not going to detonate.

There are several companies out there that support this and produce excellent products to help you make something safe and effective. Use a reputable vendor, so that everything that screws together is concentric, and use accurate jigs or means to drill your baffles and you most likely will be good to go. I'd recommend using preformed baffles (you still have to drill them out and clip them-WHICH YOU CANNOT DO UNTIL YOU HAVE AN APPROVED TAX STAMP) as that is where there is the greatest potential for excessive runout.

If you pay for the tax stamp, and get approved, suppressors are legal to own and hunt with in something like 42 states. Check your states laws. Chances are it's legal.

Boring concentric holes in baffles can be accomplished with a jig and/or them being center marked. You can also use a lathe but it's not completely necessary. Having a bore diameter close to the caliber diameter has a pretty minimal effect on sound reduction. Like 3 dB. Other things in the design have a much more significant effect (I.e. clipping and volume). Therefore drilling the baffle 60-100 thou over the caliber diameter for clearance to avoid a baffle strike is recommended, and doesn't impede the performance of the can really at all.

Do not use aluminum for anything other than 22lr. It can't stand the pressure. Titanium or steel, no problem.
I use aluminum on a 300 WSM with nary a problem

I hear yeah, I am still waiting for form 4 trust, wait time have only gotten longer since I placed the order. Check cashed right away that was June 16th, at first I thought I might get it by thanksgiving, now I am hoping by the end of the year so I can use it on coyotes. I did get the email about the form 4 trusts going e-file. Hopefully the old hard copys dont get pushed aside.

I might be going with a Form 1 can. A friend went that route and I was as skeptical as one can be. Took him right at a month to get the stamp. Then he drilled the baffles and end caps, looks as good as all the Form 4 cans I have seen, I am fairly picky. It can be cleaned easily compared to a sealed can, and it is very quiet. His is set up for 300 WM, 308, and uses on his 6.5s. Change end cap and it works on his .223s. It is hearing safe, looks good, cheaper, easy to clean, fast turn.....

Yeah, I think the hunting rig needs one, I forget to put my plugs in on occasion...

Any place that sells coned ti baffles online? I dod a few form 1s several years back and you used to be able to find quite a few companies that were selling un-drilled coned ss and ti baffles and spacers--- they you drilled and clipped them

Seems like all the older sellers of undrilled baffles are gone-- who sells them now? I know of several sources for the body and caps, but the cone dealers have changed or are out of the biz now

Any place that sells coned ti baffles online? I dod a few form 1s several years back and you used to be able to find quite a few companies that were selling un-drilled coned ss and ti baffles and spacers--- they you drilled and clipped them

Seems like all the older sellers of undrilled baffles are gone-- who sells them now? I know of several sources for the body and caps, but the cone dealers have changed or are out of the biz now
Preppers discount( slow shipping) and Hawk Innovative is who I deal with, Super fast shipping

Recent Posts