Forester coax or MEC

Mcarso1

Debating on an upgrade from my Hornady classic, really had my heart set on Forester but nobody has one or knows when they will. MEC was second choice, should I go with it or wait it out? Thoughts?

I have a Forster and have had it for about 15 years now. I bought a MEC a few months ago.

I have been using the MEC exclusively since I got it to see if I still need my Co-ax. I got the stand to use with the MEC and wouldn't want to be without it. I haven't found anything that the MEC won't do yet.

I use a Forster Co-Ax. And yes, I know the pain of acquiring one. It was a pain getting one when the demand wasn't so demanding. It's still the best $275.00 I've ever spent on a press. If you can wait, wait it out. Your call.

I would be interested to know how many reloader's in the market for a Co-Ax press wait and look and wait and look........eventually buy another press and move on. I waited almost a year and never could find a new one to buy, maybe it works for being able to sell them for retail and have a line waiting to order when they finally appear. For me I just went ahead and bought one of the other two of my choice's and didn't look back. The mec and summit were the other two and with the quality straight cartridges they produce and features, I would say I made a good choice. Good Luck with your press search :)

I got tired of waiting for Forster CO-AX to come back in stock, I went with the Frankford Arsenal M Press, since it was the closest thing to a Forster, I love the speed to switch out dies and no shell holder needed. I never owned the Mec, but if you want to see it unboxed and put to use, Ultimate Reloader has a video on it, Gavin breaks it down pretty good to show you everything you would need to know.

I got tired of waiting for Forster CO-AX to come back in stock, I went with the Frankford Arsenal M Press, since it was the closest thing to a Forster, I love the speed to switch out dies and no shell holder needed. I never owned the Mec, but if you want to see it unboxed and put to use, Ultimate Reloader has a video on it, Gavin breaks it down pretty good to show you everything you would need to know.
I considered the Frankford but was concerned with quality , what's your thoughts on materials and such?

I have used several presses and when it became time to replace I bought a MEC and have never looked back. I have reloaded for 50 years and imho its one of the best for concentricity and ease of use. So what if it is a single stage, well built and so smoooooth, keep it clean and it will last for as long as u need it to.

I considered the Frankford but was concerned with quality , what's your thoughts on materials and such?
I like it a lot, it is very good quality, heavier than the Forster press, nothing but great for me. The dies and shell holder floats, changing dies is as fast as moving a Turret head, the primer catch is very clean and I have heard will hold around 100 spent primers. The only thing is it doesn't have a primer seater, I purchased the Frankford Hand primer and glad I did, it is adjustable for seating depth. The only issue you will have is with Hornady Match grade adjustable seating die hitting the handle, Redding adjustable Micro seating dies fit fine, the Forster Ultra Micro Seating die is fatter than normal dies and require some adjustments to make it work. That is the only bad thing I can say about the press. Others do not like having to purchase the die blocks, bit with the Forster you will need to purchase the Forster rings to make it work as designed.

@Mcarso1 if you are serious about the Frankford Arsenal M Press, they are on sale at Midway for 149.00, this is over half the cost of the Forster. Forgot to ad the Light that comes with it is very nice.

@Mcarso1 if you are serious about the Frankford Arsenal M Press, they are on sale at Midway for 149.00, this is over half the cost of the Forster. Forgot to ad the Light that comes with it is very nice.

From what I've read here, and other places as well, the Frankford Arsenal might look visually similar to the Co-Ax but functionally they are completely different in how the ram is used. Whether that means the Frankford is inferior or not to the Co-Ax, I am not sure but it appears the two work differently

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.