Ford Excursion

Outlaw6.0 said:
For longevity the 7.3 is **** near bullet proof & they're reputation is very good. The 6.0 WILL make more power & get better mileage with a few serious caveats. Chip it & watch the torque to yield head studs lift like the prom queen's skirt...there's ~$3800 to fix correctly with ARP studs that won't lift.

Spend the $150.00 & get the EGR delete kit, throw the cooler, line & valve in the trash where they belong (as long as you don't live in Cali!). It's about 8hrs of tearing the top end of your motor apart but it isn't hard (the directions are very good).

After that, just keep your oil clean. The 6.0 is still an HPOP system (high pressure oil pump) instead of the common rail found on the Dura-turd, Cummins & newer PSD's. Last March I traded off my '07 6.0 (hence the name Outlaw6.0) for a 2011 6.7 PSD, the 6.0 was great, I did my homework & after 4yrs it had NEVER been in the shop. There are things to look for for sure, but treated correctly, they should last a good while. My father's 2003 has 140k on it & still runs like a top (we did have to replace the oil pressure sending unit).

I would honestly take the 7.3 over the 6.0. The 6.0 will flat out kick the snot out of the 7.3 in a drag race, but that's about the only thing the 6.0 is better at. The 7.3 will last much longer & cause less headache to boot....

I sure wish they still make the Excursion, I wil Love to have one.

BTW. My 6.7 PSD is a year old next month with zero issues. The urea crap is hard to get used to but a minor inconvenience for 400hp & 800lb/ft of torque...almost as much power as my modded out 6.0...lol with a factory warranty... life is good if you're a diesel guy.

I bleed red..I'm a cummins guy...anything is reliable if you take care of it.....I used to be a diesel hot rodder but beins my wife is as good of a shot as me I've traded hobbies....

I bleed red..I'm a cummins guy...anything is reliable if you take care of it.....I used to be a diesel hot rodder but beins my wife is as good of a shot as me I've traded hobbies....

The Cummins is great motor...I have a lot of respect for them. Obviously i'm a big Blue fan, they've done be very well.

I got a big chuckle over your hobby changes,:D smart move me thinks...

Outlaw6.0 said:
The Cummins is great motor...I have a lot of respect for them. Obviously i'm a big Blue fan, they've done be very well.

I got a big chuckle over your hobby changes,:D smart move me thinks...

I'm thinking it'll be just as expensive! But it'll put meat in the freezer....my Isx cummins in my w9 makes the money but its gotta be dead nuts reliable...its got 695,000 miles on it and still has the hash marks on the sleeves!(looked at em through a scope last oil change) I will be turning it up to 565hp and 1850ft/lbs...the 500 setting don't quite cut it..guess I've still got the bug...

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.