For your enjoyment...PA BULLS !!

Part of the issue for slow growth is that in PA they can't expand much past their current range due to farmers shooting them for crop damage.
Living in the elk range in PA, I can tell you they are a pain in the butt. Have them on our property and they destroy the maple trees for their bark and push deer out when they are around. But, cool animals to see. The game commission doesn't want them crossing south of Interstate 80 but they roam right up to it. Especially last winter when they were in the valleys to get to less snow pack to feed in.

Had this boy with a collar and his brother staying on our property all last year. Both beasts.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220803-171219_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220803-171219_Gallery.jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 81
  • Screenshot_20220803-171211_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220803-171211_Gallery.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 82
It does make ya wonder - what if elk were all over PA again? That would be pretty slick, but I also see why it won't happen. The disputes are more than a century old between farmer loss, politics, expansion, limitation, ideal dietary ranges, poaching enforcement, tourism dollars, etc. etc.

I think we can all agree on: it is an incredible sight getting to see some of these monsters every year. With the limits on the hunt, we know some of the giants will be back every year. I can't wait for my chance someday to pursue one.
They were hunted to extinction from most of the state by the 1850's and completely gone by the late 1870's most likely as the farmers moved west so I doubt they have ever really lived amongst a deforested and farmland covered PA.

I have my applications in for this year again hoping one of these years they call my name for a bull or cow I'd be happy either way. We have a camp in elk county and make a trip to go look at them in summer we have definitely seen some monsters like in your pictures.

A buddy of mine that hunts the Northern Cohutta Wilderness area of N GA. has a game camera picture of a young bull deep in the wilderness area (I'd assume an escapee from the TN herd that's about 150 miles due North).. GA DNR insists that there are no elk in GA.. of course, they also claim no lions either, but I've heard them, seen tracks, and have seen a very likely deer kill from one near my house.

I think most people would be suprised that 31 states have an elk population. Not all have hunting seasons but non the less elk are increasing in the eastern part of this country. Kentucky probably has the largest most eastern herd with 13,000 plus animals. The Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation has been very active in establishing elk in states east of the Mississippi. The recovery of Elk in places where they were wiped out is a real success story that not enough people hear about. I have attached a link that shows what states have elk and their claimed populations. I hope the link works. https://wildlifeinformer.com/elk-population-by-state/
Thanks for the link. I bookmark it.