? for you guys who mees with alot of wildcats

Ridge Runner

In the process of making cases for my 6.5 Gibbs, I've tried 3 different makes of 270 win brass, rem, win, and nosler, in all cases the necks look fine from the start, on initial sizing to neck down to 6.5, the necks come out very uneven in thickness, so much so that you can only see the false shoulder about 1/2 way or a lil more around the case neck. now my ?
could there be enough spring, play, flex or whatever in my equipment to cause this or is it a die problem.
I have made these cases without a bushing die on this press in the past with no caseneck thickness issues
50 AE to 458 Socom
30/30 to 30 herret
225 win to 7mm JDJ
444 marlin to 375 JDJ
22 PPC to 6mm PPC
8mm rem mag to 7mm STW
Like I said, no uneven neck problems, the only difference is the dies and shellholders, and the 458 uses the same shellholder as the 270.
JS

Not only that but you would have to neck them up to a caliber larger then 6.5mm and then neck them back down to get the secondary shoulder on the gibbs because this case moves the shoulder location farther forward compared to the 25-06 or any other factory rounds based on the 30-06 case size.

Kirby Allen(50)

well I tried something, if I just start a 270 case into the die about 1/8" or so, then back it off and turn the case 180 degrees, then I get the false shoulder all the way around and it looks pretty even, Is it the die or just something I hafta live with?
JS

More then likely its because the case body is not supported while the neck is being sized and it allows the case to "lean" to once side or the other.

This is why inline style dies produce so much better ammo, they control the case body and physically hold the case in alignment while the neck is sized or bullet is seated.

If your getting good neck run outs on your sized fired cases I would not worry to much about this. If your run outs are high, I would look at the sizing die.

Kirby Allen(50)

In making 6.5-300 Weatherby cases from .300 Weatherby's, I had to neck from .30 to 7mm to 6.5. I initially had some neck distortion problems of several types, but finally got tuned in.

It is critical to have an even coat of good lube on the neck. I had substantially more uniform results if I trimmed (squared) and chamfered my .300 Wby brass prior to running it through my first neck-down, and again before going from 7mm to 6.5. This allows the neck to enter the die evenly, resulting in more even sizing pressures.

Sounds like you have not fireformed the cases yet. Using cream of wheat and pistol powders it will not matter the condition or appearance of the neck. Just ensure that the case is a jam fit in the chamber ie a bit of force to close the bolt. The case will form to the chamber with a 95% shoulder. Size per usual, trim and chamfer. The next high pressure firing with a bullet will iron out the shoulder.

I would look at using a 260R or 6.5 neck die to just form the secondary shoulder before fire forming if concerned with the die you are using now.

Jerry

yes Jerry I've fireformed and reloaded some cases, my cases end up with a .015 thick neck on one side and .012 on the other, without turning any load which pushes a 140 above 3150 fps blows the primer due to the thick necks, The smith who built it swears I shouldn't hafta turn and should be able to comfortably get 3300 fps out of it, and I have gotten a 140 to that speed but afterwards the cases are junk. just trying to get out of neckturning but still get decent velocities, guess I'll have a bushing die made.
Kirby, could I get by with a 6.5/06 bushing die just to neck down virgin cases? or do I need to have one reamed?
thanks
JS
BTW, if I fireform with H4831 and a bullet vs. cow, the necks are thinner but still uneven due to the initial neckdown.

James , Eshell made a good point. I always square the case before forming it. I have had this problem before try Norma brass. It is a little softer and doesn't spring as much as a harder brass. I make my 25-06 AI out of Norma 270 brass. I first send it through a form and trim die then through a standard 25-06 die then check everything over and then turn the neck very slightly I really don't need to but I want to be sure of the clearance inside is consistent. and uniform. Once the are fire-formed I neck size and occasionally run them through a body die if the get a little tight.
I might add I use the imperial wax lube on the cases as far as I'm concernd it the only choice , it is gooooood stuff.

Rh

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.