For those that may not have seen my (Wy Winter kill post). Here's an article I read last night.

And all they would have to do is put some hay bails out to help with the problem but they say they can't interfere with Mother Nature. And then they will complain about how bad of shape the big game are for the next ten years.
Sure dosnt stop them from feeding the elk up in Jack

Similar results here in Manitoba the last number of years. Losses of 50-60% of the deer herd. After last years winter I'm barely seeing any deer around my area. Where last winter I'd see herds of up to 300 whitetail on a single field. This year the most I've seen on a field is 25. No tracks in the snow anywhere. Very sad.
That is sad.

Elk can digest hay with no problem. Whitetail can also, but mule deer can take up a couple months for stomach enzymes to adapt to hay. They can die with a full belly and think that they are full. I have spilled COB in areas that they frequent in the winter because they can digest it partially. If you feed them in the same place all the time they will not get the nutrition that they need to survive. As Steve just said they will die. No, I don't have the answer, but sometimes mother nature thins the herd to prevent disease like CWD. Another snow storm is coming into my area tomorrow. I just hope it melts away soon.