For those of you who hunt suppressed, do you Leave the suppressor on while packing in to your hunting area?

I swap my can over a number of my threaded rifles. I keep it in a plastic Plano pistol case when going to and from the field. I put the supressor on when I'm gearing up at the truck to walk to the stand. I keep the supressor separated in the gun safe when not in use.

Just adding a caution here.....some silencer friendly states do NOT allow hunting with one. Check your local regs.
(for those of you who insist on calling it a suppressor, fine, but the original patent is for a "silencer" hence my use of that term)

Im running a dt A2 covert with an 18" and 16" barrel so thats about as short as its gonna get. With a varminter 3.0 its still a few inches shorter than a normal rifle with a 26" barrel.
I just bought my first Chassis with a folder stock, the folder was my main reasoning in the switch, i haven't got it together yet but I like the feel of it and 13 inches less is bound to help carrying it

Well said. Main reason i just ordered a tbac 338 ultra and leave it on. My hearing is crap now. And dont want it getting worse.
Farmerbrown32, have you considered using electronic hearing protection? Amplifies ambient sounds to assist with existing hearing loss. Clips loud noises...gun shots....to protect remaining hearing. If properly fitted, custom fitted, are very comfortable. I've tried this with generic units with great results, then went custom fitted for even more comfort, improved protection. Units can be a little pricey, but what do you value your remaining hearing at? And, ever priced permanent hearing aids? Ever watched someone mess with batteries and tuning the hearing aids? Hearing protection is a bargain!!! Please, don't be old......hard of hearing.......too soon; smart too late. :) :) :)

I haven't hunted with mine yet, will mostly be coyote's...but, I guarantee you it will be on from the truck and back.....I have the bad habit of "misplacing" stuff on hunts...have found all of the stuff, but I DANG sure don't want an ultra 9 laying in the desert missing me !!! But like others have said, now that I have one, I won't shoot without it......makes me hate those muzzle brakes that I used.....

Farmerbrown32, have you considered using electronic hearing protection? Amplifies ambient sounds to assist with existing hearing loss. Clips loud noises...gun shots....to protect remaining hearing. If properly fitted, custom fitted, are very comfortable. I've tried this with generic units with great results, then went custom fitted for even more comfort, improved protection. Units can be a little pricey, but what do you value your remaining hearing at? And, ever priced permanent hearing aids? Ever watched someone mess with batteries and tuning the hearing aids? Hearing protection is a bargain!!! Please, don't be old......hard of hearing.......too soon; smart too late. :) :) :)

yes i have. I got some to try. I think they will work well. If i remember to put them in haha

If you zero your rifle with the suppressor , your point of impact will be different without the suppressor on. The thinner and longer the barrel, the greater the point of impact shift generally. Which is annoying if you have to take a shot in a hurry.
What caliber is your rifle? The 7saum and 300wsm are pretty good when cut down anywhere between 19" and 21".

I have been hunting the last 6 years fully suppressed. I will never go back to a brake. My cans direct thread onto the muzzle- I dont like the added weight of the adapter. I almost never take my can off when hunting. I guess if you were hiking way back into country and had no chance of running into game or if you were hiking in the day before the season opened, it would make sense to remove the can. One less thing to keep track of or to have to store securely if its attached to the rifle. I cut my barrels back to 22" and use a 7" can. Of course having a longer over all rifle with some weight at the end makes for a little more effort when going through thick stuff. But the benefits of recoil reduction with noise reduction far outweigh the effort of packing a longer rifle.

I did alot of shooting suppressed with quick attach not direct thread in the military. Once it's zeroed with the can we left it on. Breaking that carbon build up could/would impact the POI. We would also just run 5-10 rounds through before zeroing to help with the carbon build up. You'll probably get a few fps with the build up as well. I don't know if it's the same with direct thread.

I have a can on a .22 lr and if I take it on/off I have to slightly adjust my zero each time I put it back on. Don't know if it affects .30 cal as my Second can is still in jail. I personally would put it on and leave it on

Just adding a caution here.....some silencer friendly states do NOT allow hunting with one. Check your local regs.
(for those of you who insist on calling it a suppressor, fine, but the original patent is for a "silencer" hence my use of that term)
yes i will keep calling them a suppressor because that's what they do they "suppress" they don't "silence" anything !

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.