? for the smiths and others with more knoledge of smithing than I

Ridge Runner

I'm interested in rebarreling a 270 win to 6.5 gibbs, I've done some research and from what I can gather its best to use a 270 case instead of the 30-06 due to .050 longer neck.
Would this be reamer specific? does the reamer need to be ground with a 270 neck or can any 6.5 gibbs reamer be used.
I found one guy with a 270 neck length reamer but all the other makers either don't say or tell me its /06 based. Any info?
JS

Email Darryl Cassel here [email protected] if you don't hear from one of our great local smiths. Darryl turned my buddy Dave on to that same round a number of years ago. My friend has fired thousands of rounds through his gun and loves the round. I know that he uses the .270 to build his brass but I couldn't tell you why those and not the 06 brass.

You might even do a search here for 6.5 gibbs from user name Darryl Cassel newer than 5 years and see what you get. Mr Cassels has been in this long range game for a loooong time. He is a good source of info.

Darrel told me about Ray Romain, how his 6.5's used the 270 win case, my handloaders guide to catridge conversions list the 6.5 gibbs as using the 270 win as the parent case but it seems everybody else uses the 30-06 for a parent case in the gibbs.
JS

Alot of guys I know that shoots 270's or 280's and their ackley versions use 30-06 brass because they can get the high quality Lapua brass in 30-06.
It doesn't matter which case you use as the headspace is going to be way excessive anyway for the first round. But the quality of the 30-06 Lapua is going to be realy hard to beat.

Now that you mention it Ray Romain is the smith that built my friends gibbs I believe. It is sensable to build the round from good brass though. You might hold tight for a bit to see how the brass from this thread turns out. If they offer .270 brass this might suit your need quite well.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.