? for the resident gunsmiths.

Yes.
I dont see where the feeding would actually hinder accuracy performance as it does not really have an affect on accuracy.
I have found many sites online that are building custom rifles off of pre 64 winchester actions suggesting that they can be accurized just like any other action.
I can really only think of two actions that would present problems when accurizing; the rem 788 and the wby with the 9 locking lugs. Both of these rifles have numerous locking lugs and getting them lapped would be quite a chore but a good barrel, good handloads, and a well bedded stock would probably sufice enough to skip the lapping the lugs step and provide accpetable accuracy for most.
JM2C's
Dave

accuracy secrets.
The secret of an accurate rifle:

a good barrel, min spec chamber, absolutely true on centre.
take some good ammunition with a bullet and load know for accuracy. hold it in the chamber so it can't move whilst bieng fired. that means the bolt face and lugs, or whateverlocking device it uses are true to centre line of bore and are in maximum contact and cannot move upon firing.
if you have that, you will have an accurate rifle, no matter what action type. as stated before, these pre conditions are easier to meet in some actions than others,. 2 or 3 lugs are easier to true up than are 6.
Pete

There are a number of reasons why peopple prefer the 700 REM over anyother action for truing. First, there are more of them around than anything else. Second, The reciever is round. Third, tooling can be bought from several sources to do the work. It's a vary easy action to work on. Lots of aftermarket parts available. One of the biggest reason gunsmith like the REMINGTON is it is a vary strong and safe action to work on. However, if you look at the cost to have one trued and tricked out and with the cost of the action in the first place, and compair it to resell value., I believe you are much better off thinking about buying a custom made action to start. Have a switch barrel rifle built for you. Build it yourself! what I really mean by that is , you buy the action, ship it to Krieger to be barreled, buy and install the trigger you want, ship it to the stock maker. And last but not least. Nail the scope on and go to work. This has the advantage of, you can do it as the money comes in, pick what you want. And you don't have to wait months for a custom smith to get your baby done.

hey 3dollar,this krieger thing ,is that as in krieger bbls? just asking since you mentioned hart, shilen and ,douglas ,was it?( another forum) that sounds like a lot of fun anyway. you have a favorite for trigger group?just trying to find out as much as ican before i'm excommunicated( see post in bullets bbls etc.) see ya(maybe,)jimm

JIMM, Thats kind of depends on what flavor of action you pick. If you go with say a REMINGTON type or the type that uses a REMINGTON mount then, I would go with a Jewell, I do prefer the single set Canjar to all other triggers for hunting. But you wait, next to for ever for Mary to come through for you (about a year wait). Their are a lot of good triggers out there, I have alot of rifles with Timney, for the money, not bad. When a guy reaches a certain age, he kinda of likes old tried and true. FWIW, give me a Canjar single set for hunting, Jewell for comp. "As usual just my two cents worth". Yes JIMM, I do mean Krieger Barrels, Inc. Cause they will do the whole job in house for you. Just ask for Mike, when you get him on the horn, tell him what you want and get his thinking on your project! Do you need contact info?

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.