For the guys who hunt LR with heavy rifles, a question:

There are several good threads on this forum The deal with sling/carrier for rifles. I think he would be well advised to look them up. I'm sorry I didn't do it for you and post it; but I don't know how to post stuff like that.
Best of luck on your hunt!
Johnny

This is what I use, very accessible, can't fall off your shoulder. Puts all the weight onto your pack (rather than just one shoulder).

https://store.kifaru.net/mobile/gun-bearers-p30.aspx

QUOTE="FEENIX, post: 1704213, member: 14204"]
Yep, I got the universal one and it works like a champ.
[/QUOT

FEENIX is one of the guys that I pay attention to on this forum. He sayS, in the quote above, that he has a universal one and that it works like a champ. Considering the source, I would take that is important information.

there are other recommendations for other carrier systems. I think it's worth your time to look it up. I hope this helps.
Johnny

Do you change what you select to go in to your pack? Or do you just train accordingly for the added weight?
The reason I ask is because I am much more comfortable and accurate behind a heavier rifle at long distances (500+) than I am with a typical sporter style rifle using a #2 contour.
Next fall I have a hunt that I have been told the closest range I will shoot is 400yds, but 700+ is pretty common.
From the beach access point, camp is about a 7 mile hike in.
The 300wm I have in mind for the hunt weighs in just over 15lbs.
I have a 264 Mag. that will shoot lights out to 400 yards plus, but it weighs in at 14 pounds and my neck and shoulder are very tired by the end of a long day. I just recently finished a 338 Mag. with stiff carbine barrel an it come in just under 9 lbs, it's loud and kicks like a mule. So far I have only shot it off the bench at 100 yards but very accurate with 200 grain pills coming out the pipe. While I have never shot game at that distance you have mentioned your 300 WM should work great with the right bullet selection. While there are a number of things that you could do to reduce weight of your rifle, I would still use the firearm that I shot the best.

I jumped my rifle up in weight this year, maybe around 10# but not counting the bipod and suppressor that ride in the pack. I use the Stone Glacier gun attachment thing on my pack. I feel like if I were going to go heavier on the rifle, I would want one of the packs that centers it on my back because even with 10 pounds it is hard to balance that out on the other side of the pack.

Training for a heavy load is key, the Aussie Army had me carrying a FN Minimi (7.5kg), spare barrel, 1000+ rds and a heavy pack including 8kg of water (Australia is very dry) across varying terrain. No macho man here - Heavy loads suck! The heavier your load makes for a higher probability of injuries. If you can shoot the distance with a lighter rifle why hall a heavy one? My 300Winnie weighs 5.2kg (11.5lbs) and that's heavy enough.

Do you change what you select to go in to your pack? Or do you just train accordingly for the added weight?

I can't change what I take because I only take what I need. I have some crappy - uh, heavy - gear. My loaded pack is 41 pounds (includes 11 pound rifle but does not include food). When I train I load my pack with 50 pounds. I carry my rifle, attached to my pack, with the Kifaru Nomad 2 Gunbearer. At some point I may get a different rifle and it will almost certainly be lighter but I'm not getting it because it's lighter that's just a bonus.

Nothing pleases me more than shouldering a light rifle. I have done a fair amount of backpack hunting and I find that I am always more willing to go farther and look deeper for game, if the weight on my back and shoulder is minimized.
I practice shooting long range with my light rifles and I don't feel they handicap me in any significant way. I will personally stick with my slim sticks so my old legs can make it to the next ridge!

You will feel the extra weight eventually, especially when climbing or not using a trail. I only really have one set of gear to take, so I don't vary my equipment too much for regular backpacking or just hiking in for a hunt. Generically, I try to by ultralight stuff, but certain things I will compromise on for comfort like my pillow. Depending on the season I will also swap out my sleeping bag. I hike pretty much every week and will sometimes throw a case of shotgun shells in my pack for weight.

I took my chassis rifle out a few weeks ago and it was about 14lbs (my scale isn't the most accurate). I used to carry a Barrett Fieldcraft so you can imagine the pendulum has swung way far the other direction. The biggest problem I ran into was having to carry extra water because there was no source where I was heading into, and I would be staying in that one area. The heavy rifle, plus the water weight, plus carrying my camp stuff, plus the heat on the first day quite frankly was a bit more than I could chew. Once I was there and set up, I didn't mind the rifle weight as much since my pack was empty, but I was dreading a pack out if I were to get something. Even with a well designed pack, weight is just cumulative. My advice is to cut it where you can, and a few pounds off the rifle will make a big difference in the long run. Also know your personal limits, because otherwise they will show up at the most inopportune time and location.

Next fall I have a hunt that I have been told the closest range I will shoot is 400yds, but 700+ is pretty common.

Just curious, but I am wondering what kind of a hunt this is.

It sounds pretty rugged!

Wyowind

Just curious, but I am wondering what kind of a hunt this is.

It sounds pretty rugged!

Wyowind
Rugged is what I hear!
It's on the far eastern side of Montana. I think Jordan is within an hour or two of where we will be.
Elk and Muleys

The reason I ask is because I am much more comfortable and accurate behind a heavier rifle at long distances (500+) than I am with a typical sporter style rifle using a #2 contour.
I have 2 10lb 7mm LRMs that shoot good enough to kill deer at a 1000 yards. They both are sporting #5 fluted steel barrels. I don't see way you need a 15lb rifle to shoot 600-700 yards. If you go with a Proof Carbon you can even lighten it up and still keep your long range accouracy.

I have 2 10lb 7mm LRMs that shoot good enough to kill deer at a 1000 yards. They both are sporting #5 fluted steel barrels. I don't see way you need a 15lb rifle to shoot 600-700 yards. If you go with a Proof Carbon you can even lighten it up and still keep your long range accouracy.
Fair question.
It really boils down to budget and financial priorities. The McGowen that's on there now still has about 1,100 shots of life left, so it doesn't make sense to me to change out the barrel yet.
If anything were to get changed, I would probably start shopping for a light weight chassis. The MDT Oryx that it's on now could definitely be lighter by a pound or two.
But then again, that's a good chunk of money to be spent.

Ref my rifle, could I make it lighter, sure, does it change its characteristics in my hands, heck ya. I have gone two ways on changing rifles; sometimes it's for the better and I love it, other times I wish I never changed it and I spend more to get it back, haha. Why I actually went to an R8, all my rifles looked the same just different Cals because I liked a certain fit. My UL rifle sure as heck doesn't feel the same, it can shoot though. I'm of the mindset that, yes, in theory you carrier your rifle for that one shot, but that one shot could be the shot of a lifetime.

It's easy I found out this year to drop weight else where.

I guess too I have a military background and never could choose the rifle I carried, just what else I packed.

Ref my rifle, could I make it lighter, sure, does it change its characteristics in my hands, heck ya. I have gone two ways on changing rifles; sometimes it's for the better and I love it, other times I wish I never changed it and I spend more to get it back, haha. Why I actually went to an R8, all my rifles looked the same just different Cals because I liked a certain fit. My UL rifle sure as heck doesn't feel the same, it can shoot though. I'm of the mindset that, yes, in theory you carrier your rifle for that one shot, but that one shot could be the shot of a lifetime.

It's easy I found out this year to drop weight else where.

I guess too I have a military background and never could choose the rifle I carried, just what else I packed.
That's about where I think I'm at with my decision overall. Even though the rifle is heavy, I have full confidence that it will drill any target that I put it on. It's a 1/2 minute gun when I do my part. 3/4 on a bad day.
I don't know what it is with me and the light rifles, but I struggle with them at long ranges. That may change if I were behind a light weight with either a chassis or a pistol grip, but that's TBD.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.