For the guys who hunt LR with heavy rifles, a question:

When I know I'm taking a heavy rifle, my gear doesn't change, I just deal with the weight of a heavy rifle. I pack pretty minimalist anyway so there isn't really anything that I would consider non essential in my pack.
Train if possible on the step climber. I had to stop because of gym restrictions. I was training up to 70 stories twice a week. I was switching back and forth between level 4-10 every 7 stories. I also took two Nitric oxide capsules every morning before starting out and began those a week before the hunt. My 300 is in the 13-14 pound range also with scope. I was 65 at the time, but never got really wind.

good luck training is the key.

I think an individual's physical make-up, and ability to shoot accurately and consistently at long range influences the acceptable weight for a "carry" LR rifle. For my 5"10/medium build/70 year old structure, 10-13 pounds is a manageable weight range for me that meets my requirements. With my hunting methods I rarely carry my rifle in a back pack. I use a well padded should sling and relieve the weight by using a straight arm, hand support under the butt plate to eliminate the weight in my shoulder, thus neutralizing any pressure, and feeling more like a slung sporter-weight rifle.

The more I think about it the more I recall how few people actually cover the distance you are talking about and in mountain terrain. Yeah people do hike around but just not nearly as much as they think they do. Where I hunted a couple weeks ago one trail was 7 miles to the summit and mostly flat up a long drainage. The other trails I used went from 7500-9500 ft at the summits and only 3 miles. Not one single hunter without a horse hit those summits but man they sure talked a lot sh!t about the miles they put in. I just lol'd.

My outfitter buddy I guide for is 6'4" and 300 lbs. I'm 5'6" and 170. Our tolerance for weight is not the same. In the end, Greyfox said it, it's a personal thing and none of us can really answer your question. It boils down to your own tolerances and abilities. Not everyone is built to haul heavy loads long distances and do it day in and out. I think it's bit arrogant for someone to say 5 lbs isn't that big of deal and just lose weight etc. Maybe you are already fit, maybe the area is absolutely brutal, and maybe your feet can't handle days of abuse, maybe spending several thousand on light weight gear is not in the cards. Truth is, no one knows you better than you know you. I just have no desire to pack more weight than necessary, I'm not getting a special prize at the end of the day because my pack is heavier than anyone else's and I find little pleasure in un-necessary suffering.

Can you post a link for that pack please!

The perfect weight for a rifle is the one you have absolute confidence in making any shot that is presented. I started carrying my Sendero in my Badlands pack rifle carrier years ago and never gave it thought after that. One more vote for trekking poles AGAIN to help carry any load including a rifle. Another vote to take another 10 lbs off your own weight versus a rifle or anything else in pack. Weight carried is the perspective of the person who may be 6'4" 250 or 5'9" and 170. Its all about your conditioning and size does matter in some instances. I will not give up my Sendero (weight) just because of the confidence I have in it and I have never weighed it. I know it weighs more than 8 lbs. 😉 No point from my perspective. The only qualifier I would make is if I knew the shots available were going to be reasonable range of less than 400 yards, then a different lighter rifle option may be worth it. Heck, my .270 begins to look real nice at those ranges.

Like said above lbs on a sling can get rough but in your pack it's nothing. I've toted several different 15 lb rifles. They are much more forgiving. Getting up the hill quickly is meaningless if you can't hit what you're shouting when you get there. A 7 lb rifle is exponentially harder to shoot than a 14lber especially when you're half out of breathe without tons of adrenaline pumping looking at your trophy

I went from heavy rifles to lighter, custom rifles. I got away from the varmint contours and went with a light palma contour for my long-range hunting rig. I run better glass, I pack a nice (heavy) spotting scope. I even went with a maple stock on my latest build. Not saying it's the only way or even the right way, but I've determined the only thing weight in the rifle helps me with it recoil. I don't run muzzle breaks, but they can help with recoil. Lighten the load where it makes the most sense, put the weight into stuff that will help you hunt effectively. If you can afford a carbon barrel. I hear they're pretty nice!

Do you change what you select to go in to your pack? Or do you just train accordingly for the added weight?
The reason I ask is because I am much more comfortable and accurate behind a heavier rifle at long distances (500+) than I am with a typical sporter style rifle using a #2 contour.
Next fall I have a hunt that I have been told the closest range I will shoot is 400yds, but 700+ is pretty common.
From the beach access point, camp is about a 7 mile hike in.
The 300wm I have in mind for the hunt weighs in just over 15lbs.
Put 25 in your backpack and go for a few walks....when you drop 10 on the hunt.... you'll figure your gun only weighs 5!!!

This past year I did change a few things as because of my move I only had my Blaser R8 zeroed and capable.

I changed my tripod (dropped 3lbs, been meaning to for awhile) changed my air mattress (dropped 1.5lbs) and ditched most freeze dried meals for self packed (almost 15lbs dropped here while still keeping 32-3500cals/per + worked out near $500 cheaper)

All in all I could have had a wicked low pack weight if I ran my UL rifle, but I actually felt more confident having the heavy R8 and well will probably run it again next year.

(R8 prof stnd conture brl w/ NF 3-15, GRS BiFrost, RPS Spigot Bipod, sling- I didn't weight it because I didn't want to know haha)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts