? for people who sort their brass by case capacity.

KQguy

I sorted all my cases the other day by how much liquid they can hold(I figured that was the best way to determine case capacity).Now that I have about 5 different groups of cases,how should I use them?Should I try to use less powder in the ones with less capacity,and more powder in the ones with more capacity to try and get the same velocity out of each group?Or should I just use one group of brass for one particular bullet,and another group of brass for another particular bullet?I want to utilize all of my brass without sacrificing consistancy.Any input is appreciated.

Pick your pile and rake the rest into the trash can.
It's no big deal, brass is cheap, and a 100 best pieces will wear out any barrel.

Otherwise, why bother?

Varying capacity does not say that one capacity is better than another, only that chamber pressures will vary. You can find the best accuracy by load for each capacity, or try to approximate the same result by loading to similar velocity. If you are developing loads for different bullets, then there is no need for equivalency.

If your neck thickness varies greatly per cartridge, then you have the basis for discard.

I sorted by weight for years and years. If the outside dimensions are the same the result of weighing is the same as measuring water volume.

I finally gave up on the whole idea. But I will admit I still weigh them. I only trash the two extremes, or rather use them for testing etc. Gee I am cheap.

Shooting very large capacity cartridges the varying capacity hasn't made much difference except at ranges longer than I would take a shot at. I'm talking RUMs and Allen Mag here.

For the smaller cartridges, 222, PPCs I'd still sort by group and use the largest group until they are done then switch to the next weight group.

FWIW.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.