For my brother what caliber

My opinion is I don't think there's a better utility caliber than the .308. It's not particularly great at anything but it does lots of things well. Don't get caught up in all of the notifiers calibers, they are not near as versatile as the old .308.

Pick a rifle with a 10 twist barrel and you can reasonably shoot any Ammo from 110 grains up to 220 grains. Plus off the shelf availability is almost overwhelming.

For a first rifle it can't be beat IMO. As his shooting skills develop he can branch out into more specialized calibers.

If he's touchy about recoil on any of these, take him out for some porterhouse steaks and get him to man'up. 😆

My 7mm-08 recoils more than my 7 mag did.
Wow, I got one of those 7mm08 that kicks harder than my 7mag. 3006, and 270. Weird

My opinion is I don't think there's a better utility caliber than the .308. It's not particularly great at anything but it does lots of things well. Don't get caught up in all of the notifiers calibers, they are not near as versatile as the old .308.

Pick a rifle with a 10 twist barrel and you can reasonably shoot any Ammo from 110 grains up to 220 grains. Plus off the shelf availability is almost overwhelming.

For a first rifle it can't be beat IMO. As his shooting skills develop he can branch out into more specialized calibers.
I couldn't agree more with everything you said on the .308. I think that the 30.06 has truly earned its place right beside the .308 for every reason ya listed for the .308. It's got the .30 call punch, it's got a range in ammo from 90gr-220gr & a bunch in between. Across the board - versatile & adaptably utilitarian. T know the .308 will surpass the 30.06 in that 600-800-yd range. I'm a huge fan of the Rem 7mm mag too. Super-versatile tack driver blistering fast & flat.

I couldn't agree more with everything you said on the .308. I think that the 30.06 has truly earned its place right beside the .308 for every reason ya listed for the .308. It's got the .30 call punch, it's got a range in ammo from 90gr-220gr & a bunch in between. Across the board - versatile & adaptably utilitarian. T know the .308 will surpass the 30.06 in that 600-800-yd range. I'm a huge fan of the Rem 7mm mag too. Super-versatile tack driver blistering fast & flat.
I absolutely agree. You can't go wrong with either a .308 or the good old 30-06. Ammo for both calibers is relatively easy to find across the US.

Hello all I'm asking this to better help my brother he is looking to buy his first rifle which will be for huntin white tail and maybe bear if hes able.hes not sure what caliber or rifle to go with and what I've recommended to him hes not sure on yet.hes looking at couple different rifles but he is on a tight budget of 500 just for rife but me and my dad will help with little more cash if he finds something he really wants.the caliber he is most interested in is different 6.5 cal,,270 win and maybe 308.he has shot and hunted with either my dads 308 or 30-06,270 or 50 cal muzzleloader.he wants to have his own rifle he is 17 right now and I'm not sure how he is on recoil any help would be greatly appreciated thanks
Hello all I'm asking this to better help my brother he is looking to buy his first rifle which will be for huntin white tail and maybe bear if hes able.hes not sure what caliber or rifle to go with and what I've recommended to him hes not sure on yet.hes looking at couple different rifles but he is on a tight budget of 500 just for rife but me and my dad will help with little more cash if he finds something he really wants.the caliber he is most interested in is different 6.5 cal,,270 win and maybe 308.he has shot and hunted with either my dads 308 or 30-06,270 or 50 cal muzzleloader.he wants to have his own rifle he is 17 right now and I'm not sure how he is on recoil any help would be greatly appreciated thanks
If he is recoil sensitive the Howa 7.62x39 is a great option, it is still in the 30 caliber range hits like a 30-30 but with the longer barrel than a lever action or the Ruger Ranch you gain about 100 fps and the pointed bullets give better range than the flat nose 30-30. 250 yards should be no problem. And ammo is still available even in this "pandemic".

If he is recoil sensitive the Howa 7.62x39 is a great option, it is still in the 30 caliber range hits like a 30-30 but with the longer barrel than a lever action or the Ruger Ranch you gain about 100 fps and the pointed bullets give better range than the flat nose 30-30. 250 yards should be no problem. And ammo is still available even in this "pandemic".
Every bolt action in 7.62x39 regardless of brand is selling for at least double the suggested list price if you can find one.

270 is a great deer rifle. 30/06 has a little more horse power for bullet velocity, than the 308. Both action would be a long action. 308 would be a short action. The 7.62x39 (308 Cal) is a slow boat to china. So the long action can be built into a lot of different cartridges, if he wants too later on. Get a Rem 700 BDL used with serial numbers ending with A,B, or C. You can get a TriggerTech trigger for it. Me I shot very light triggers. Once you learn how to use them, you will never change. You don't need a 5lbs trigger pull, 2lbs and under.

Thank you everyone for the reply he ended up going with 308 as his pick he kept looking at a 6.5 creed but no ammo available any were for it.and me and my dad already shoot 308 and I hand load foe 308 and other 30 cals so it was kind of a easy choice after we looked around at what ammo we could find if need be

Hi. I'm a. Huge. Fan. If the. 270. Win. In a. Light. Bolt action. Rifle. With. Really. Good. Glass! I can. Tell. You I. Love my Weatherby. Ultra light in. 270. Win ! It's. My. Favorite. Deer. Rifle ! 130. Grn. Bullets are excellent. On. White tails !! I'm. Sure. It would. Be. Just. Fine. On. Mule deer and. Antelope. Too! 140. Or. 150. Grn for. Elk !! I se a. Leupold. 2.5.X To. 8X For. Farm. Hunting in. West. Virg. And will change to a. 4.5.X To 14.X if I'm. Told by he. Ranges will. Be. Longer ! Kimber. Also. Makes a. Super. Light weight. Rifle. In. 270. Win as well ! Winchester. Still. Make the. Feather weight. Classic also. In 270 Win ! Check. Them. Out !!