For my brother what caliber

He can not go wrong with either the .270 Winchester or the .308 caliber rifle.

As he is on a tight budget you might consider a packaged deal ( scope and rifle combination)
Take a look at the Savage Axis EX stainless or the XP in Cammo rifle.
Either rifle is packaged with a Bushnell Banner 3 x 9 power scope (a decent scope for the money) and a detachable magazine.
Both of which are worth your consideration and at your price point as well
Savage has come a long way in improving their products as well as quality.
Don't let the name Savage Axis dissuade you>
I will tell you emphatically that these guns are shooters, and from what I have seen at the range with people using them all in all, they are very pleased with the Savage Axis brand.
In either caliber, ammunition can generally be found in any sporting goods shop that sells ammunition. (pandemic aside)
I own 2 rifles among others that are chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor and IMHO this would be an ideal round for deer provided that you're not in heavy brush or a heavily wooded area.
Additionally, I would not feel comfortable shooting bear unless you had a perfect shot and suggest that you move up in caliber.
See if any dealers in your area carry the rifle and brand that you are looking for.
If you find a dealer who has one get some hands-on and see if it feels right and you like the way it functions.
Now google gun brokers who sell firearms on the internet and find the rifle that you are interested in and check the price from several sites. Once you have the best price you are good to go.
Points to Ponder:
Now if you order online you must have it shipped to an FFL licensed dealer in your area.
Once it has arrived a person over 18, preferably your older brother or Dad can complete the forms and generally if all checks out. you will be able to pick up your rifle after a 3 day wait. ( in my state Florida because I have a concealed weapons permit I can take home my purchase after filling out the Federal forms and waiting for the necessary background check to be completed)
Your State the guidelines may be different for anyone who holds a CCW but generally without one, there is mandatory a 3-day wait to run all your information through the system before you can take your purchase home.
If you plan on purchasing a firearm online and want to use it for this hunting season I would say that is not a likely hood as dealers are behind with shipments as far as 6 -8 weeks.
Once you have your firearm allow time to properly sight it in.
So if you plan on using your firearm this season you may be better, by paying the full retail price and buying at a local gun store.
In this manner, you will have to include a range day and allowing time to zero your rifle as well as familiarizing yourself with your new rifle ( which is a must ) before you take it afield.

The only stumbling block that I see is your age (17). Most states in order to purchase a firearm you must be 18 years of age and complete a firearms safety course. If this is the case in your state you will have to have your Dad, or someone else of age purchase it in their name for you. Now can proceed to take the "Hunter Saftey Course (if it is required) and you're ready for your new rifle to accompany you on its first outing.
Hope this helps!
Let .me get couple thangs cleared up I'm 26 trying to help my 17 year old brother find a rifle not the other way around.also my dad has one of the savages axis in 308 and I had one mine was a peices of junk cant say much about the one my dad has i haven't shot it and he only hunts with it he just wanted a cheap 308.

Let .me get couple thangs cleared up I'm 26 trying to help my 17 year old brother find a rifle not the other way around.also my dad has one of the savages axis in 308 and I had one mine was a peices of junk cant say much about the one my dad has i haven't shot it and he only hunts with it he just wanted a cheap 308.
Please re-read my post in order to clear the air, Thank You!

Just wondering if 100,00 axis gun owners are all wrong, or what!

Anything from a 25cal 25-06 and up. Maybe even a 243 or 6 creedmoor, if you use there right ammo.
The 7mm variants of the 30cals are going to be better overall for NA game less recoil and flatter shooting (7mm-08 or 280/280ai). Hell if you want to get a loved old round the 30-30

CB47EB4B-2E1B-4987-B22C-0B8EE9D820AA_1_105_c.jpeg
Poor man's custom. Rem 700 ADL - $300 on sale Cabelas, Vortex Viper 3x9x40 - $200 on sale Cabelas, Timney trigger - $125, Custom one-of-a-kind paint, yours truely. It doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg. Just an option.

Mauser M18 for $429 needs a serious look.
Who all on here has one of these none of my local stores carry them.we did see that places around here are starting to stock the cva rifles.are they any good.ive heard and read the cva barrels are made in bagara factory?

I'm looking at one of those to build off of for my self
Enuff Said & Thank You for your words!!!
Years ago I lived in Massachusetts and for the longest time I personally felt that the Savage brand was pretty much the middle of the road, and I myself felt that either Remington (the Big Green) or Winchester were really the only American Made bolt guns that I would consider. I felt this way after my service in the military came to an end and I was once again free to hunt during the appropriate seasons. Not only did I hunt but I hunted hard and held tags in 3 states for years.
More often than not I had My trusty Remington 700 BDL in .308 caliber with me, and I was quite content with just using that rifle for deer and bear size animals. For Moose and larger animals, a dozen years later I purchased another Remington a 742 semi-auto in 30-06 caliber. Between the two rifles, I thought I was the cat's butt.

23 years ago I moved here to Florida and was looking for a rifle to outfit my wife, and during one of our weekly range outings, I saw a gentleman who was shooting a Savage Axis in 270 Caliber.
It was one of those guns sold as a package deal along with a cheap scope.
Well imagine my surprise when that gentleman with the Savage Axis and not so great scope was consistently shooting MOA groups @ 100 yards
It literally blew my cork!
He was kind enough to let my wife try his rifle and she immediately fell in love with it.
So a few days later I started looking at Savage rifles and found a sweet deal on a Savage 110 in .270 caliber.
I bought it along with a Nikon Prostaff 4.0 x 12.0 X 40mm glass and the correct rings and bases and set it up for her.
Well to make a long story very short That I Savage rifle is an ornery little devil and before too long it just kept having babies and my safe has now grown to hold 12 Savage rifles among others.
(OBTW I have had a few hiccups with these rifles now and again but they were all very easy fixes and none required the services of a GunSmith))
The moral of this long-winded story is that just because years ago you experienced issues and that soured you on this brand, it certainly bears another look.
In closing, I can assure you that today's Savage rifles are a far cry from those that were built even a dozen years ago.
So best of luck in your choice of a rifle for your younger brother!

Enuff Said & Thank You for your words!!!
Years ago I lived in Massachusetts and for the longest time I personally felt that the Savage brand was pretty much the middle of the road, and I myself felt that either Remington (the Big Green) or Winchester were really the only American Made bolt guns that I would consider. I felt this way after my service in the military came to an end and I was once again free to hunt during the appropriate seasons. Not only did I hunt but I hunted hard and held tags in 3 states for years.
More often than not I had My trusty Remington 700 BDL in .308 caliber with me, and I was quite content with just using that rifle for deer and bear size animals. For Moose and larger animals, a dozen years later I purchased another Remington a 742 semi-auto in 30-06 caliber. Between the two rifles, I thought I was the cat's butt.

23 years ago I moved here to Florida and was looking for a rifle to outfit my wife, and during one of our weekly range outings, I saw a gentleman who was shooting a Savage Axis in 270 Caliber.
It was one of those guns sold as a package deal along with a cheap scope.
Well imagine my surprise when that gentleman with the Savage Axis and not so great scope was consistently shooting MOA groups @ 100 yards
It literally blew my cork!
He was kind enough to let my wife try his rifle and she immediately fell in love with it.
So a few days later I started looking at Savage rifles and found a sweet deal on a Savage 110 in .270 caliber.
I bought it along with a Nikon Prostaff 4.0 x 12.0 X 40mm glass and the correct rings and bases and set it up for her.
Well to make a long story very short That I Savage rifle is an ornery little devil and before too long it just kept having babies and my safe has now grown to hold 12 Savage rifles among others.
(OBTW I have had a few hiccups with these rifles now and again but they were all very easy fixes and none required the services of a GunSmith))
The moral of this long-winded story is that just because years ago you experienced issues and that soured you on this brand, it certainly bears another look.
In closing, I can assure you that today's Savage rifles are a far cry from those that were built even a dozen years ago.
So best of luck in your choice of a rifle for your younger brother!
Okay I appreciate it.and dont get me wrong I still have one savage a model 11p and I can shoot under 1/2 inch at 100 with my hand loads