For my brother what caliber

6.5 Creedmoor. I have most of what's mentioned however if I had to rely on factory ammo I'd choose the Creedmoor. As far as bears go. The most messed up bear I have ever seen was shot with a 243 86grn serria hollowpoint. I ran a pack of hounds and have seen appx 65 kills with 338win mag to 357 mag from a lever gun used. I carry a pump 06 when I track game and use a 270 from a stand. It is rare I use others in those 2 scenarios. Running bears I had a 300bee or 35 rem in a 336 marlin.
The creed has excellent factory ammo in the correct bullet weights to hunt game. The sectional density of a 6.5 calliber 140/143/147 is far better than most loads for other cartridges. It is light recoiling accurate and will kill everything you hit properly inside of 500yds with a 143eldx 135 berger or 140 accubond. There are so many great bullets loaded in the creedmoor it is hard to consider a different round using factory ammo.
I've shot15 or so different rifles in the cartridge. Savages tika's remingtons Howa's(Wby vangard) Every one would shoot a handload sub moa All but the tika shot sub 1/2moa and that went 5/8. I've had 2 savages that shot the 125deer xp load sub moa out to 400yds which is as far as I have shot that load.
I'd advise your dad to loan him a rifle for the season and wait till Black friday to purchase. I bought 2 FV savages for under 300 and a Model 10 for 450. Not to mention all the pkg rifles that will be under 500. I purchased an ADL 700 in 7 mag for 298 after rebate. Today that is a 300prc in a chassis

With all the crazy hoarding and first time buyers you have to consider availability of ammo in the near/far future. With that in mind, your selection narrows a lot. Go on line and try to find anything in 308, 3006, 270, 6.5, and then look at the 25's. 257 and 25/06 would be my suggestion because you can find both loaded and components for reloading for both. My recent new favorite is the 25/06. Not because of before mentioned difficulties, but because that caliber is one of the most efficient killing machines i have ever used w/o harsh recoil (none imo). Great for anything up to 600lbs with good shot placement, which you will achieve because there is no recoil flinch. Just saying..............................

Since we both live in NC, I presume the bear hunting you mentioned is black bear, and not an Alaskan brown.

That said, there have been some good recommendations so far — and some I would not consider.

• Don't even consider a magnum anything for NC hunting. I prefer to have something to eat after I shoot a deer. A 7mm Rem can leave you with half a deer shredded to bits. They are great where shots are 300 yards+ on 300 pound deer, but that's not likely to happen in NC.

• The 30-06 and .270 are great all-round cartridges but more than is necessary for anything in the Carolinas. People use them because their grandfather used them. I would only recommend then if this rifle may do double duty on other hunts.

• The .308 is a good round but the 7mm-08 blows it away ballistically, it's flatter shooting with less recoil, and has greater down-range energy.

• The .25-06 may be the perfect Eastern whitetail and black bear cartridge. It has mild recoil, shoots as flat as the 7MM Rem mag, will easily drop a deer out to 500 yards, and not destroy a deer if you get a close shot. (If you handload, the 6.5-06 has better long-range potential, but factory ammunition is impossible to find.)

• The .260 Rem is a great round, slightly more powerful than the 6.5 Creedmoor, with mild recoil and great accuracy. The only limitation of the .260 Rem is that few choices of factory ammunition are available. (The 6.5 Creedmoor is a slightly better choice for extremely long range.) If you find a good deal on a .260 Rem, look at it seriously.

• The 6.5 Creedmoor is a great round, and currently the most popular in the lower 48 states. This correlates directly to lots of ammunition choices. This round will kill anything he's likely to hunt, and do it well. It's extremely accurate, with mild recoil. It doesn't shoot quite as flat as the .25-06 out to 500 yards, but is available from almost every gun manufacturer. The only reason I don't own a 6.5 Creedmoor is because I already own a 25-06, a .260 Rem, and 2 .243s.

• The .243 is a great cartridge that should not be scoffed at. Some consider it light for deer & black bear, but it's killed a lot of each and can do double-duty on coyotes for off-season hunting. The .243 is not recommended for animals larger than black bears.

Great rifle choices already made:
• Used Tika T3. These guns seem to always shoot phenomenally.
• Mauser M18 in 6.5 Creedmoor: https://www.eurooptic.com/Mauser-M1...thetic-5rd-Mag-Bolt-Action-Rifle-M18065C.aspx
• Savage rifles are scoffed at by many because they are not pretty, but they are inexpensive and I've never seen one that did not shoot well.
• Used rifles are often a GREAT BUY. It's been a long time since I bought a new rifle, occasionally new scopes but used rifles because used can mean more for my money.

I have a Remington Model 7 in .260 Rem with a Nikon Monarch scope that I should sell as it hasn't been hunted with lately. Let me know if you are interested. I'm in Orange County, not far from you.
Great opportunity to exceed ALL your needs, as long as price is right. No need to look any further!!!!!

I'm not a 6.5 fan but I doubt it's any less humane than any other caliber. Oh 22 years ago or close to it my trusty .22 magnum (yea rimfire) (It's all I could afford after buying a pair of blue ticks) cleanly and humanely killed a nuisance bear at a range no one here would believe! A tad over 200 yards. I knew that Marlin like the back of my hand. I just wanted to sting the sheep killer but an ear hold perfectly punched both lungs. I thought I missed him but was taught to always follow up no matter what and 60 yards into the blackberry's he laid!! I would never recommend it but it killed him just as fast as any other rifle or bow has for me.

Hello all I'm asking this to better help my brother he is looking to buy his first rifle which will be for huntin white tail and maybe bear if hes able.hes not sure what caliber or rifle to go with and what I've recommended to him hes not sure on yet.hes looking at couple different rifles but he is on a tight budget of 500 just for rife but me and my dad will help with little more cash if he finds something he really wants.the caliber he is most interested in is different 6.5 cal,,270 win and maybe 308.he has shot and hunted with either my dads 308 or 30-06,270 or 50 cal muzzleloader.he wants to have his own rifle he is 17 right now and I'm not sure how he is on recoil any help would be greatly appreciated thanks
My wife shoots the 7mm 08 and the first three dear she pulled the trigger on fell in their tracks. 308 can kick like a mule and 7mm bullets are a lot better BC. There was a recent post on LRH about the 7mm 08 for elk up to 600 yards. All that shoot it love it and those that don't should try it. I just bought my own, because she won't let me hunt with her gun. Got the new Remington model 7. Great gun that is super accurate out of the box. Bought it from Buds Guns for around $800 and it is worth every penny. Stainless barrel, top end composite stock, Remington 700 action in a slightly smaller package. Great for walking around or in a tee stand.

My final word on this don't take it as Gospel. I still say a 30-06 is the best first gun because you can shoot from the lightest, #1 buckshot or with a sabot 50 grain .224 bullet. I have shot squirrels with a paper patched #1 buckshot and a few grains of Bullseye. If you reload you can go to 220 grain bullets. Lets talk about recoil...come on he is 17 years old! I was shooting a 06 at a range and I was 14 and weighed 120# soaking wet. i would come home with a black and blue shoulder. When I was 12 I was shooting a 12 gauge Browning A-5 with no problems. Now you get into the wonder .30 mags now there is a problem, recoil goes way up, scope eye always a problem and the velocity increase of a couple hundred FPS is not worth it. I never knew a critter to read ammo ballistics anyways. Every gun show I go to usually a 100 or more "06 rifles ...every make every model and you will not be disappointed with one

Hello all I'm asking this to better help my brother he is looking to buy his first rifle which will be for huntin white tail and maybe bear if hes able.hes not sure what caliber or rifle to go with and what I've recommended to him hes not sure on yet.hes looking at couple different rifles but he is on a tight budget of 500 just for rife but me and my dad will help with little more cash if he finds something he really wants.the caliber he is most interested in is different 6.5 cal,,270 win and maybe 308.he has shot and hunted with either my dads 308 or 30-06,270 or 50 cal muzzleloader.he wants to have his own rifle he is 17 right now and I'm not sure how he is on recoil any help would be greatly appreciated thanks
He can not go wrong with either the .270 Winchester or the .308 caliber rifle.

As he is on a tight budget you might consider a packaged deal ( scope and rifle combination)
Take a look at the Savage Axis EX stainless or the XP in Cammo rifle.
Either rifle is packaged with a Bushnell Banner 3 x 9 power scope (a decent scope for the money) and a detachable magazine.
Both of which are worth your consideration and at your price point as well
Savage has come a long way in improving their products as well as quality.
Don't let the name Savage Axis dissuade you>
I will tell you emphatically that these guns are shooters, and from what I have seen at the range with people using them all in all, they are very pleased with the Savage Axis brand.
In either caliber, ammunition can generally be found in any sporting goods shop that sells ammunition. (pandemic aside)
I own 2 rifles among others that are chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor and IMHO this would be an ideal round for deer provided that you're not in heavy brush or a heavily wooded area.
Additionally, I would not feel comfortable shooting bear unless you had a perfect shot and suggest that you move up in caliber.
See if any dealers in your area carry the rifle and brand that you are looking for.
If you find a dealer who has one get some hands-on and see if it feels right and you like the way it functions.
Now google gun brokers who sell firearms on the internet and find the rifle that you are interested in and check the price from several sites. Once you have the best price you are good to go.
Points to Ponder:
Now if you order online you must have it shipped to an FFL licensed dealer in your area.
Once it has arrived a person over 18, preferably your older brother or Dad can complete the forms and generally if all checks out. you will be able to pick up your rifle after a 3 day wait. ( in my state Florida because I have a concealed weapons permit I can take home my purchase after filling out the Federal forms and waiting for the necessary background check to be completed)
Your State the guidelines may be different for anyone who holds a CCW but generally without one, there is a mandatory 3-day wait to run all your information through the system before you can take your purchase home.
If you plan on purchasing a firearm online and want to use it for this hunting season I would say that is not a likely hood as dealers are behind with shipments as far as 6 -8 weeks.
Once you have your firearm allow time to properly sight it in.
So if you plan on using your firearm this season you may be better, by paying the full retail price and buying at a local gun store.
In this manner, you will have to include a range day and allowing time to zero your rifle as well as familiarizing yourself with your new rifle ( which is a must ) before you take it afield.

The only stumbling block that I see is his age (17). Most states in order to purchase a firearm you must be 18 years of age and complete a firearms safety course. If this is the case in your state you will have to have your Dad, or someone else of age purchase it in their name for you. Now you can proceed to take the "Hunter Saftey Course (if it is required) and you're ready for your new rifle to accompany you on its first outing.
Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Ruger American Predator in 308win it has am 18" barrel which is fine for deer and black bear. You can find them new for under $400. Then get rid of the Tupperware stock and put it in a Ruger Magpul Hunter stock. If hes recoil sensitive the barrel is threaded and you can put a break on it, and shoot 155gr. Once the recoil sensitivity goes away you can move up to 165gr, 168gr or even something in the 170's.

Dozens of adequate to perfect calibers and rifles for deers and such.

Get something that is easy to supply and won't beat him up too bad. My little common ordinary .243 W kills deers real good provided good bullets are used in it.

For what it's worth, I have a few rifles in different calibers, in saying that, the one I rely on the most is my 270 Win, has put down deer, hogs, bear, coyotes. I've never felt under gunned with it either. The second one is my 30-06, it has done the same thing, put animals down quickly. Good luck with whatever you choose.

IMO, 6.5 Cr. would be hard to beat for low recoil, accuracy and availability. Good for anything in the Lower 48 and beyond.