For my brother what caliber

With the price, you may be talking Ruger American or maybe a special from CDNNSports.

Our family has recently made two similar choices, although we let the prices rise to $800 for a bare rifle. We do like light, easy carrying rifles.

Caliber? I'm glad you asked.
My wife's LH Tikka is primarily a deer rifle: 270 Win. Factory 130gn or handloaded 110TTSX and 117HH make it a "poor man's magnum." Attached are recent two-shot confirmations of scope zero. BOTH are two shot.
pic 270 118HH strl 17-9-20.jpg
pic 270 118HH H4350 57p5 09-9-20.jpeg

The rifle for the grandkids went a different route, though. It may be used in Africa so we went with Kimber Hunter 308Win. It shoots 130gnTTSX into tiny little groups at 3125fps. So it is functionally almost equal to my wife's 270 for deer-sized game. Why the Kimber? Because it uses a 10" twist but the Tikka uses 11" twists.

Yes, the Kimber shoots, too: (again, two shots. They do nice 3 shot groups but the thin little barrels really shine on the first two shots.)
pic 308 130 H4895 47 17-9-20.jpeg

Hello all I'm asking this to better help my brother he is looking to buy his first rifle which will be for huntin white tail and maybe bear if hes able.hes not sure what caliber or rifle to go with and what I've recommended to him hes not sure on yet.hes looking at couple different rifles but he is on a tight budget of 500 just for rife but me and my dad will help with little more cash if he finds something he really wants.the caliber he is most interested in is different 6.5 cal,,270 win and maybe 308.he has shot and hunted with either my dads 308 or 30-06,270 or 50 cal muzzleloader.he wants to have his own rifle he is 17 right now and I'm not sure how he is on recoil any help would be greatly appreciated thanks
30-06 is a very adequate rifle for most anything. Shot one for years. I cannot work a bolt action very good so I prefer a remington model 760 pump action. Lordy can I work a pump. Killed moose. Lots of elk, Many deer, tons of coyotes, quite a few bear. Shoot speer grandslam 165 gr bullets. Right at 2900 plus fps. I usually do not shoot much past 400 yards. I do alot of sitting and moving slowly between areas. Let animals make mistake. Anyhow good luck and practice with what ever you buy.

Any one know much about 338 federal? Him and my dad went and looked at one at a pawn shop today I'm going to go try and check out for them hopefully this week. After talking to him more I think hes leaning towards a 308 or 7mm 08.and everyone was asking what kind or bear and about recoil.it will be black bear and as far as recoil gos the biggest rifle he has shot was 300 win mag without a brake but after 3 shots he didnt want to shoot it again
No ammo selection.

Hello all I'm asking this to better help my brother he is looking to buy his first rifle which will be for huntin white tail and maybe bear if hes able.hes not sure what caliber or rifle to go with and what I've recommended to him hes not sure on yet.hes looking at couple different rifles but he is on a tight budget of 500 just for rife but me and my dad will help with little more cash if he finds something he really wants.the caliber he is most interested in is different 6.5 cal,,270 win and maybe 308.he has shot and hunted with either my dads 308 or 30-06,270 or 50 cal muzzleloader.he wants to have his own rifle he is 17 right now and I'm not sure how he is on recoil any help would be greatly appreciated thanks
6.5 in Creedmoor or PRC would be a great choice. The Creedmoor wins for ammo choices, PRC has more horsepower. Both are inherently accurate and enjoyable to shoot.

I see a lot of guys recommending a particular rifle, I wont do that. What I will say is let him pick one he likes the look and feel of and make shore it fits him.
I see a lot of caliber/cartridges recommended that the OP did not ask about. I'm going to stick with some he listed.
Your brother has used your and your Dads 270, 308 and 30-06, I would stick with those for his first rifle as any of them will do what he will be hunting and more, an he is use to those cartridges. I have all three, my first rifle was a 270, I later picked up a 308, then a 30-06. Of those I like the 270 and 30-06 better then the 308, just my preference. Seeing he is mostly hunting deer and maybe some bear I'd go 270, it will handle bear just fine, especially with a 150gr. bullet. Butt in all truthfulness with the right bullets and chambered in a good rifle that fits him well any of the three will be grate and you wont notices any big difference.

I'd Biden wins this election I think the ARs are history. Even though less than 5% of gun deaths are from assault rifles the Dems just hate the black gun. I love the Ar myself. Used it in the military and use it now. Anyone with a little common sense and a few tools can do all kinds of wonderfull on them. The 6.5 Grendel is a little over achiever but for a pure hunting ar I would do an ar10. Then the 243, 6.5 Creed, 7mm-08, 260rem, 308 and 338fed are all on the table. Plus some other big bore options. It's definitely one gun can do it all.
Shep

The Dem' hate everything BUT HATE ITSELF.

I see a lot of guys recommending a particular rifle, I wont do that. What I will say is let him pick one he likes the look and feel of and make shore it fits him.
I see a lot of caliber/cartridges recommended that the OP did not ask about. I'm going to stick with some he listed.
Your brother has used your and your Dads 270, 308 and 30-06, I would stick with those for his first rifle as any of them will do what he will be hunting and more, an he is use to those cartridges. I have all three, my first rifle was a 270, I later picked up a 308, then a 30-06. Of those I like the 270 and 30-06 better then the 308, just my preference. Seeing he is mostly hunting deer and maybe some bear I'd go 270, it will handle bear just fine, especially with a 150gr. bullet. Butt in all truthfulness with the right bullets and chambered in a good rifle that fits him well any of the three will be grate and you wont notices any big difference.
I agree and if he needs ammunition he can use his fathers or brothers or might just want to try some to see how his new rifle shoots he won't care which one as long as it's his own rifle

Seems like all the calibers you're listed would work just fine!! If you hand load you can always load lighter bullets for recoil management.

Recent Posts