For long range hunting only! We don’t discuss match components!

jshepherd61

Ok not trying to be a jerk, I shoot matches also, but since it's getting close to hunting season and this is a ELR site. Let's discuss Magnum calibers and hunting components you plan to use. I know there must be people settling on components that they can find VS what they normally use! I know I am. So this is you chance to help people out that can't find there go to components!

What do you mean help people out?
Like powders,bullets and such?
Yes components; Bullets, brass, powders you do not normally use but have been forced to find alternatives due to the lack of supplies. I know like myself many people have been improvising on ladder tests due to shortage of Bullets and some magnum powders like H-1000 and Retumbo which seems to be a powder of choice for many

Looking for a powder that has same or similar burn characteristics as Retumbo and just as temperature insensitive have tried the endurons 8133 and it is no place close to Retumbo or H1000

I have 16 lbs 8133, 8 lbs Ramshot magnum and N568 can't come close to my Retumbo and H1000 for my 300 PRC. 8133 is all over the place and hitting pressure 150 fps before I get lose to my load with Retumbo

I've been having good luck with N570 in my 300 RUM. I haven't been able to get Retumbo for ever. I've been wanting to try 24N41 but cant find it.
I was able to scoop up 700 of the Berger 30 Cal 245gr EOL Hunter bullets so should be set there for a bit anyways

I've been having good luck with N570 in my 300 RUM. I haven't been able to get Retumbo for ever. I've been wanting to try 24N41 but cant find it.
I was able to scoop up 700 of the Berger 30 Cal 245gr EOL Hunter bullets so should be set there for a bit anyways

Curious how the 245s worked out for you. Mine are slower than I would prefer, but shoot well.

Curious how the 245s worked out for you. Mine are slower than I would prefer, but shoot well.
I just put this barrel on to shoot these bullets, they are a bit slower than I wanted but I am hoping the barrel will break in and pick up some speed. I only have about 60 rounds through it right now. currently getting 2855 out of them I'm hoping to see right around 3000.

Same here what velocities are you getting? I'm currently using 210 ABLR, 212 ELDX and 220 ELDX. I like to keep all my hunting loads above 3,000 fps and my gun likes them right around 3,024 fps that my accuracy node for those pills.

From what I've seen, many have already been testing alternatives, having been forced due to shortages.

If you post your particulars, there may be someone who has already solved that puzzle?
Yep The helping out has been going on since I joined here in 2012, It's nothing new here

Recent Posts