??? for JBM.

Quarterbore

I bought some Sierra 155 palma MK's Supposed to have a B.C. of .450 w/ velocity over 2600f/s. Question, is that G1 function BC,and if so what is the G5 funtion B.C.?

Thanks, I will be testing them this weekend along with the 155 gr.Nosler J-4s with same BC.

If it's published by Sierra, it's going to be a G1. I've never seen them publish anything else.

On my website in the downloads section there is a file that is a reprint of some drag functions from "Exterior Ballistics of Small Arms Projectiles". At 2600 f/s, you can see that the G1 drag function is 0.2959 and 0.1869. Since G1/BC1 = G5/BC5 (the CD of the bullet is the same, so these terms have to be the same for the same atmospheric conditions) so BC5 = BC1 * G5/G1 = 0.450 * (0.1869/0.2959) = 0.284.

Now if you run two trajectories, one with the G1 BC and the other with the G5 BC you can see they are pretty close (it convinces me that I didn't mess up the math). They aren't exactly the same though because we used only one BC at one velocity.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.