? for guys using brakes.

Coyboy

I'm thinking of putting together a 300Rum. I would like to use a 28" barrel but want to keep the gun at about 11lbs finished. Rem. action H.S. stock.

I'm used to shooting a 300wm Rem bdl.

I guess my biggest fear is how loud the gun will be. I always wear ear protection when practicing but don't when hunting.

Are some brakes loader than others? who's should I avoid? What do you recomend?

The only experience I've had was a friend who touched off a Boss Bowning with me standing about 10 feet behind him, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif my ears rang for hours after that.

I kind like the idea of being able to see long range hits if the brakes are that effective.

Whats the minimum barrel contour you would use with this cal. and length? Kirby?

Coyboy,

For the 300 RUM I recommend at least 26" and 27 or 28 is even better. 30" is great but your getting into the area where you need more weight in the barrel. With an 11 lb finish weight goal I would personally go with a standard length Lilja at 27" finish length.

Contour, the #7 contours are very hard to beat for good barrel mass and relatively light weight. Similiar to the Rem Sendero contour but with a longer full diameter barrel shank. If weight is a concern have Dan flute it with his heavy flutes, nearly 3/4 lb drop right there.

As far as the brake is concerned, they are all loud, The so called "Quiet" brakes are the ones us hiring impared shooters are using /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!.

Seriously though, in most cases, the amount of perceived noise is a direct funtion of how efficent the brake used is performing. The brakes that reduce the most recoil will generally be the loudest. These are the partition style brakes such as the Holland and JP and all others of this design.

The radial port brakes such as the Vias and KDF and all those, BOSS included are not as efficent at reducing recoil as the partition style but are said to be a bit quieter to the shooter????

Basically I use the Holland for a couple very simple reasons.

1. It is extremely efficent at reducing felt recoil. Your 11 lb 300 RUM would recoil less then a 25-06 in the same weight rifle.

2. They are compact, adding only 1 1/4" to the length of the barrel and only marginally larger in diameter.

3. They have a solid bottom and which makes then perfectly designed for shooting from prone positions which may occur often in the field. They do not blow ground debris around like the radial port brakes do.

4. They virtually eliminate muzzle jump in any rifle weight or chambering.

I have tested most out there and will only use Hollands on my personal rifles so take that for what you will. I have yet to have a customer use a Holland and not be happy with them.

Me personally, I never notice the muzzle blast from my braked rifles. Course most of them have 30" pipes as well which makes a dramatic difference as well.

For minimum contour for a 300 RUM, I would say that will depend on barrel length. Again, I think anything less then 26" in barrel length and your better off with a 300 Win Mag, 300 Wby or something in that class.

I would not go lighter then a #5 contour at 26" finish length and personally would prefer a #6 contour. at 27 to 28" finish length I would say min should be a #6 and recommend a #7.

Please keep in mind I have consistancy in mine much more then extreme low weight so take this for what it is, simply my opinion on what I recommend for getting the most accuracy and consistancy from this big 30 cal magnum.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

I shoot a Winchester 70 w/boss, 300WM. If I am shooting long range, I have time to put in one earplug in the ear that is not against the stock. That being said, I have taken close shots that I didn't have time to insert a plug - if I am concentrating, my ears will not be ringing after the shot. This only happens for 1 shot, after that my ears will be ringing for the rest of the day. I think shooting my AR-15 at coyotes and with everyone else's shotguns while duck hunting has hurt my hearing WAY more than shooting 1 shot a year with a brake.
Since all of my deer over the last few years have been at 400+ yards, it is a non-issue.

4ked Horn absolutely HATES spotting for me when I am shooting the 300 - the concussion makes him blink and he can't concentrate after that either. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The VAIS brake works very nicely and has a minimal increase in noise. It also doesn't blast gas back into your scope lens or your face.

[ QUOTE ]
4ked Horn absolutely HATES spotting for me when I am shooting the 300 - the concussion makes <font color="red"> his eyes totally lose focus </font> and he can't <font color="red"> feel his fingers </font> after that either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yo %&amp;$#in' skippy!
googley.gif

I have been around many in the past but not used one until my hunting bud got his 300RUM. He sent it out west and had Kirby put on a Holland and I got to do initial load testing. I had on the electroinic muffs and have noted no problems with them on. The one time, and I emphasize "ONE TIME", I left them off, it was definately a mind numbing experience.

However, with the reduction in recoil and ability to see your impacts at range, I do believe the hearing protection is a small price to pay. Personally with something of this nature, I will probaly have a smaller rifle on hand for anything under 400 or so yards anyway. Everything I have for this sort of range hasn't been a problem when shooting game.

I do however always wear protection when shooting targets or load development. And now I ALWAYS wear plugs or the electronic muffs, when shooting the RUM and soon the AM.

WHAT, WHADID U SAY!!!!

I also use electronic muffs while hunting. When sitting for extended periods of time I use the plug style with the plastic hoop thingy. I wear it around my neck and just flip em up if I need to.

Love the breaks !!!! loud or not.

Thanks for all the replies.

Kirby, I was leaning towards the Holland, I know you and many here have really liked them. My thoughts on rifle wieght may be a little optomistic. I deffinatly want an accurate rifle and going to a slightly heavier contour won't hurt. This gun will be a dedicated elk rifle, and practice range stretcher. It's the Elk part that wants me to keep it light. May just as well flute a #7.

My wife is an Audiologist and is always asking me about ear plugs and such. She even bought me a pair of the electronic muffs, but I have never tried them hunting.

She is going to freak out when she hears a breaked RUM going off in her back yard. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Thanks all, Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.