For all you 30-06 owners, what bullet are you using?

Depending on the rifle and the game, I have used the old Sierra GK 165BTSP, the 165BTHP, Speer 165 BTSP, Barnes 130TTSX, the Nosler 180 AB, and I have even shot varmints and small game with the varied 110, 125's and reduced load 100gr SP half-jacket or 32 cal (.312) pistol bullets.

165 gr. Nosler Partition over 49 gr. IMR 4895 It's not a hot rod load, but it's what my father loaded in his sporterized 1903-A3 Springfield, and I have never tinkered with it. Makes cloverleafs all day long at 100 yds. This year my grandson will shoot this rifle on our Montana elk hunt. 1 load, 4 generations.

I've been shooting 180 Nosler Partitions and IMR 4350 in a Ruger M77 since 1976. Got an elk 2 years ago with 1 shot at 420 yds.

I have mostly used 180-grain bullets, the Swift A-Frame and the Nosler Partition. H-4350 was the powder, in both the 30-06 and the 30-06 AI. I switched to the 165-grain Hornady GMX a while back, in the SuperFormance factory-loaded ammo. Identical performance on deer to the other bullets so far; haven't yet shot an elk with this load. I got away from the 150-grain bullets decades ago, and the 180's destroy less meat on smallish deer. They do phenomenally well on elk, too. Even though expansion isn't as dramatic on soft animals like whitetails, the deer go down right away. It doesn't necessarily take a big hole to produce a quick kill.

it's very versitile 125 grainers are fun for deer but ,my pappy used 180 round nose so that's what I use , I just giggle a say that's a moose bullet, had a 06 built because of cheap brass, I'm a Velocity fan always have been ,for me it's easier to buy a longer barrel and get more performance,vs ai a round, yes choices are good and to each their own , it just comes down to individual preference,so my one an only custom 30/06 wears a Stainless Steel Hart #5.5 conture,1/10 twist mated to a 1936 Mexican Mauser action, sitting inside a Over moulded,rubber coated Houge stock with their pillars or bedding block can't remember,lol but it's a fun 06 to be sure , it likes 150's,165' 175's 180's and 190 SMKings ,come to think 🤔 of it where is that Rascal😉👊😉,cheers .

Curious as to what folks are using. So many rifles seem to have a few bullets that are really popular - 300wm and the Berger 215, 6.5 PRC and the 156, etc. But the 30-06 doesn't seem to have that hugely popular favorite bullet. Since there is such a huge selection of bullets, I would expect to see answers all over the map.

I wanted to shoot the Nosler 180 BT but I would get a flier a third of the time, Switched to Berger 185 VLD and it went away. With N560 I'm getting 2877 with this bullet and it should easily dispatch anything smaller than an elk, and could work for elk as well although it won't be my primary elk gun.

What are other people shooting?
Hornady 165 boat tail is 1/2" with my load in factory Remington with trigger work and synthetic stock. Not the best LR bullet I know but this one is accurate for what it is worth....I prefer the 180's but worked this one up with the 165.....

200g Accubond
4350 @ 2755fps
.466 MOA
27" Bartlein 5R 1:10

Accurized 1960's era Rem. 700 my mother gave me for a wedding present.
Thought a reply was aprrporiate for mother's day!

EDIT: IMO a rifleman OR riflewoman isn't complete unless one owns a .30-'06.;)

Last edited: