For all you 30-06 owners, what bullet are you using?

I've shot the 200 grain Accubond at 2600 with good results.

Next will probably be either the 162, or 178 Absolute Hammer.
I live in a state that requires non-lead bullets. Tried 180gr Barnes TTSX out of my 06, shot well but didn't work well on game didn't expand well enough. Barnes suggested going to 150gr TTSX in front of 52gr of 4064 2890 FPS. Did the trick, killed 3 mule deer and 2 elk with that combo, copper needs more speed.

My 30-06 loves 165gr Sierra Game Kings. Tried over a dozen different bullets and the Game Kings have the best consistent performance. Pic below is @200 yards from the bench. I've taken Elk, Mule Deer, Whitetail Deer, Antelope, and a variety of varmints with it. Most all were DRT.

Attachments

• 3 shot group.JPG
    3 shot group.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 60
Curious as to what folks are using. So many rifles seem to have a few bullets that are really popular - 300wm and the Berger 215, 6.5 PRC and the 156, etc. But the 30-06 doesn't seem to have that hugely popular favorite bullet. Since there is such a huge selection of bullets, I would expect to see answers all over the map.

I wanted to shoot the Nosler 180 BT but I would get a flier a third of the time, Switched to Berger 185 VLD and it went away. With N560 I'm getting 2877 with this bullet and it should easily dispatch anything smaller than an elk, and could work for elk as well although it won't be my primary elk gun.

What are other people shooting?
165gr Nosler Partitions. Consistent one shot kills out to 500yds so far. Been using them since the 70's. Tried a couple of others but settled on these because they consistently performed and I could always find them to buy.

Curious as to what folks are using. So many rifles seem to have a few bullets that are really popular - 300wm and the Berger 215, 6.5 PRC and the 156, etc. But the 30-06 doesn't seem to have that hugely popular favorite bullet. Since there is such a huge selection of bullets, I would expect to see answers all over the map.

I wanted to shoot the Nosler 180 BT but I would get a flier a third of the time, Switched to Berger 185 VLD and it went away. With N560 I'm getting 2877 with this bullet and it should easily dispatch anything smaller than an elk, and could work for elk as well although it won't be my primary elk gun.

I like the 150gr Nosler Ballistic Tips for both 06 and 308 Winchester.

I shoot 150 gr. TTSX ahead of StaBall in my Tikka T3x at 3100 fps. Tried lots of bullet powder combinations and found this was the most accurate. Looks like it's my new deer and sheep rifle.

Last edited:

The old 30-06 was developed around the 150-165 Grain Bullets. (using mostly imr.4831)
That being said i am very intrested in the performance of all the newer and modern Bullets such as Hammers ect. Would appreciate any Load data you folks are willing to share.

Thanks in advance Buzzard

I'm interested in this also as I have a remington 700 30-06 that I'm starting to do load work on.so far I've got 178 eld x at 2780 with 6.5 staball also have some loaded up with n550 but still working on that load.im waiting on my hammer bullets to show up and have few other bullets to try
Hi
I use this combination on my blaser R93
For 165 - 168 gr = 56gr N550
For 178 - 180 gr = 53 gr N550
But you have to find firs your best COAL
And after that to find the best weight of powder

In the past i was use for 150 - 168 gr N140
And for 180 gr N160
But with N550 push them more harder without presure signs

Anyway i still have to try more to find the best node for all bullets wich i use
For long range i use NBT 165 - 180 gr
And for maximum 300 meters hornady sst 165 - 180 gr
My twist rate it s 1:11
If yource have diffrent twist sure you have to play arownd my node

Keep in tuch to share our rezults

I've pretty much used Nosler bullets from the 165 gr range to 200 gr. Mostly with the classic book loads of H4350. But I have some 208 ELDM's and RL16, RL17 and RL26 to play with. I'd like to get some Berger 185 gr and well as the 215 gr Hybrid to try out too. Lot's of great choices and classic loads out there for the ol 06.

180 Sierra Gamekings very accurate in my 30-06 Ackley. Good terminal performance on antelope and elk so far. Tried Berger's as I've had great results in my 338 Edge but couldn't get them to shoot in the -06. Same problem with ELD-X's.

155 TMK Sierra with H4350. Kills deer and varmints. Overkill on the varmints but I don't care.

I use 180 grain Nosler Partitions. Never had a problem with them. No fliers, tight groupings on paper and excellent results on Africa and North American plains game and deer. I reload and use Nosler Partitions on all rifle calibers for hunting.
I have had excellent results Hunting with Sierra 180gr too.