For all you 30-06 owners, what bullet are you using?

The Oregonian

Curious as to what folks are using. So many rifles seem to have a few bullets that are really popular - 300wm and the Berger 215, 6.5 PRC and the 156, etc. But the 30-06 doesn't seem to have that hugely popular favorite bullet. Since there is such a huge selection of bullets, I would expect to see answers all over the map.

I wanted to shoot the Nosler 180 BT but I would get a flier a third of the time, Switched to Berger 185 VLD and it went away. With N560 I'm getting 2877 with this bullet and it should easily dispatch anything smaller than an elk, and could work for elk as well although it won't be my primary elk gun.

What are other people shooting?

Last edited:
Curious as to what folks are using. So many rifles seem to have a few bullets that are really popular - 300wm and the Berger 215, 6.5 PRC and the 156, etc. But the 30-06 doesn't seem to have that hugely popular favorite bullet. Since there is such a huge selection of bullets, I would expect to see answers all over the map.

I wanted to shoot the Nosler 180 BT but I would get a flier a third of the time, Switched to Berger 185 VLD and it went away. With N560 I'm getting 2877 with this bullet and it should easily dispatch anything smaller than an elk, and could work for elk as well although it won't be my primary elk gun.

I'm interested in this also as I have a remington 700 30-06 that I'm starting to do load work on.so far I've got 178 eld x at 2780 with 6.5 staball also have some loaded up with n550 but still working on that load.im waiting on my hammer bullets to show up and have few other bullets to try

My 30 06 realy liked the Sierra 165s but at big range would start to keyhole so i went to 175gr Edge TLRs and boom no more keyholes out to 1400 anyway i woul have used bergers but i just hate their expansion theory and that is my all around hunting rifle. I prefer a 3/4 to 1 inch hole in my food animal with a bullet that was found on the opposite side of the animal still retaining 80 to 90 percent of its weight. Dont get me wrong though if i was on a once in a lifetime hunt for goat or sheep id be all in with the 7RUM and 168gr bergers incase the only shot i was presented was 1400yrds