Food Chain

scope-eye

Here in South Florida I have a Racoon problem or at least I had, the thing that leaves me scratching my head is the carcas is never there the next morning. What would eat or remove an animal of that size? I always thought that anything that would be big enough would not eat an already dead animal. I always dispose of the carcases since my wife freaks out when she sees those turkey vultures in the back yard.

Dean

Here in South Florida I have a Racoon problem or at least I had, the thing that leaves me scratching my head is the carcas is never there the next morning. What would eat or remove an animal of that size? I always thought that anything that would be big enough would not eat an already dead animal. I always dispose of the carcases since my wife freaks out when she sees those turkey vultures in the back yard.

Dean
Coyotes,especially in warm climates,not so much in colder climates.

Coyotes are deadly on raccoon. Raccoon, Skunk, Woodchuck, Muskrats, Possom, Wild Turkey and Fawn Deer are high on the coyote food list. Hen Turkeys on nests and their eggs are very threatened while the hen is sitting on the eggs. See very few flocks of young turkey grass hopper chasing since the arrival of the Coyote in our state. These animals supply a good meal and are small enough a Coyote can kill and carry as needed.

Dean
Gator lol

Coyotes are deadly on raccoon. Raccoon, Skunk, Woodchuck, Muskrats, Possom, Wild Turkey and Fawn Deer are high on the coyote food list. Hen Turkeys on nests and their eggs are very threatened while the hen is sitting on the eggs. See very few flocks of young turkey grass hopper chasing since the arrival of the Coyote in our state. These animals supply a good meal and are small enough a Coyote can kill and carry as needed.
Maybe on small ones but i've seen many face to face with coyotes and coon and most coyotes avoid. However this is only what I've seen a few times.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.