follow up shots with suppressor

Most barrels will have a shift of some kind from cold to warm to hot. If you set your zero with a warmed up barrel it will be off when its cold. That's why it is so important to have a dead nuts COLD BORE zero on your hunting rig. Even a .25 - .50 difference at a 100 stacks up at real difference. I will often confirm my cold bore zero several times to make sure it's true. Sometimes taking a rifle solely for that one shot, and course another to shoot and practice with
That was my thought--- does the OP's barrel show any poi shift without the can? -- a suppressor will often times amplify the poi shift depending on internal construction (clipped baffles vs non clipped, vs monocore, can bore diameter , etc)--lighter weight barrels will often have a larger poi shift with heat, and when you add a can to the end of a barrel it will often times change the harmonics/whip of the barrel too.

Interesting that some studies highly suggest cold bore is a Myth. They relate cold bore shift primarily to cold shooter. I've actually never had a rifle not shoot within the primary group. One we'll known shooter suggests a person warms up on a different rifle before shooting the test rifle to determine if it's the barrel or shooter. I have mixed thoughts on it but haven't found cold bore to be true for me. I like cold bore first round shots and a follow up when I practice in the field. I prefer at least 500, and like 750-1200 for practice. This target is one I did with a cold and follow up to confirm my load.

DA60F22F-98F3-4855-AA0F-75FF5499D36C.jpeg

Interesting that some studies highly suggest cold bore is a Myth. They relate cold bore shift primarily to cold shooter. I've actually never had a rifle not shoot within the primary group. One we'll known shooter suggests a person warms up on a different rifle before shooting the test rifle to determine if it's the barrel or shooter. I have mixed thoughts on it but haven't found cold bore to be true for me. I like cold bore first round shots and a follow up when I practice in the field. I prefer at least 500, and like 750-1200 for practice. This target is one I did with a cold and follow up to confirm my load.

View attachment 186049
Is this running a suppressor?

Could the added weight of the suppressor on barrel creating a new pressure point on the stock? Don't have much experience in this, but sounds like an option.

idcwby

Could the added weight of the suppressor on barrel creating a new pressure point on the stock? Don't have much experience in this, but sounds like an option.

idcwby
I am running my suppressor on an 18" heavy barrel bolt action (308 win), I don't think it makes a difference on my rifle. However, my first shot is off, I think it is the gas burn off, my next 10 shots are all on the money

we need to know what you consider POI change? is it 3" low left or is it .5" as part of the group. I compete with a can, and it's not hard to stay on a plate with similar POI out and back from 500 to 1000yds on a troop line stage. by the end of the stage, you're 8-12rds in, can is scorching hot, barrel is hot, and you can still stack rounds within an easy kill zone on any of the targets. so, in a hunting scenario with reasonable ranges, no you shouldn't have any POI change that should matter. If you can't get around it, then do the work and map your cold bore, so it's not an issue.

Is this running a suppressor?
Yes. I have many targets like that. I hate shooting groups and would rather try first round cold impacts. If I am successful on first shot I will generally take a follow up to confirm it wasn't an accidental hit. Additionally, my first shot is always with my data and zero and rarely is it a miss due to elevation, bad wind call....yes....difference in cold bore impact, no.

Hopefully I explain this correct, but has anybody seen that the point of impact changes if you do a quick follow-up shot with a suppressor before letting all the Smoke Clear out of the barrel? I've noticed that if I shoot two consecutive shots together the point of impact will change but if in between the shots I remove the bolt and blow out all the smoke my point of impact stays the same. The concern I have is out in the field when hunting and you need to make a quick follow-up shot how do you compensate for the smoke in the barrel? is there any little tool out there that people use to blow out the smoke from the previous shot? *note- If I wait about 30 seconds the Smoke Clears out by itself and the point of impact stays the same.
With a Thunderbeast suppressor I've not seen that at all. Can shot a 5 shot group just about as quickly as I can and still be easily sub-moa with a Tikka TAC A1 in 6.5CM.

First 3 shots, 301 yards, 6.5SS w. Thunderbeast Ultra 9 this weekend. **** first shot went high, throwing off my group.
20200405_160050.jpg

To be honest, I have only had my cans for a few weeks, but I have not observed that issue. Could it be he can is not tightened properly, or the heat/pressure after the first round is causing a mounting change?
What about if you let the rifle cool for 30+ minutes between strings? Does it do it then too?

I have a TBAC 30P1, I run on numerous rifles. Additionally, I have several precision auto loaders with different cans. I have never experienced what you describe.

My only suspicion is that you have cold bore problem not related to the can or a concentric problem with the threads, mount, can,etc. That big of a shift also indicate a bedding problem as well.

I think I would try to rule out the problem with the can off first.

Good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.