Foam Padding for Gun Cases

Matt Regalia

Didn't quite know where this question would fit in, so here it is. i want to make some custom foam for my gun cases to fit specific rifles. Where can I find both the smooth and the egg crate style foam. I checked a few craft stores and the local Home Depot and Loew's. other than going throught the case manufacturer is there some place I can buy sheets of this padding.

Matt

[ 01-01-2003: Message edited by: Matt Regalia ]

Matt,
about a year ago I saw several thicknesses, 1/2" to 4", of the opencell foam in two by eight foot pieces at Lowes. My mom has an upholstery shop and orders hers from California. I was telling her it was cheaper there than paying freight for the stuff.

Didn't notice the egg crate stuff, but it might have been there too. It was over by the ladders if that helps any?

Matt

Most good cases come with heavy CLOSED-CELL foam, this foam won't retain moisture like some other foam(s).

Pelican and Starlight make cases and I'd suspect you can buy better foam from them. I've tried using specialty foam in the past and it generally dosen't work very well.

Dave is right, the opencell foam will do nasty things to your rifle because of the moisture it holds if they're left there long.

The Starlight cases are WAY nice too. Closedcell is definatly the way to go if you can get it. Cheap bed pad rolls are often a good source for padding things but some 2 or 3" would be nice for cases too.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.