FNG with Crossbows

MoApe

I just ordered my first crossbow, obviously a TAC 15i. I've never shot a Xbow and made my decision based upon hours and hours (did I mention HOURS) of research (this specific forum is the TAC series gospel by the way). I couldn't find one to shoot before purchase to save me...oh well, I bought the best!

I'm a long-time vertical bow hunter from Missouri who now has to use a crossbow after a neck surgery.

Needless to say I'll depend on many of you for help in setting up this tack driver, I look forward to being an active member of this community.

I just ordered my first crossbow, obviously a TAC 15i. I've never shot a Xbow and made my decision based upon hours and hours (did I mention HOURS) of research (this specific forum is the TAC series gospel by the way). I couldn't find one to shoot before purchase to save me...oh well, I bought the best!

I'm a long-time vertical bow hunter from Missouri who now has to use a crossbow after a neck surgery.

Needless to say I'll depend on many of you for help in setting up this tack driver, I look forward to being an active member of this community.

Welcome aboard MoApe! Your story sounds EXACTLY like mine a few years ago. I had reconstructive back surgery. That ended my "Operator" days, so I took up extreme long range, large bore marksmanship instructing. Previously when I hunted I only used a bow, a vertical bow. I also did the hours of crossbow research. Then at one Shot Show, I had the PSE booth near mine. That's when I saw this new innovative crossbow they were introducing. Tactical they called it. I also had never fired a crossbow at that point. I only knew that if I was to continue to hunt, this model was the only one for me.

The first thing that got my attention, was that it was an upper I could install on my tricked out M4 lower. I looked closer! Then, I saw the ability to use a crank-to-cock instead of foot stirrups (which I absolutely couldn't do). You could also use the crank to let it off. That crank feature alone sold me, and I preordered one right there. It's still with me after several years, thousands of shots, (and a few animals) later. I feel that the TAC15 has "saved my hunting life". Without it, I would be on the couch each season.

I suggest you read all the threads here. There is a wealth of info and very friendly members always willing to help. I have made all the enhancement mods to mine. Every time I've been unsure, I've stopped and asked. Each one of my noob questions has been answered in patient detail by the members here.

You have made a great choice which you will never regret.

Welcome aboard MoApe! Your story sounds EXACTLY like mine a few years ago. I had reconstructive back surgery. That ended my "Operator" days, so I took up extreme long range, large bore marksmanship instructing. Previously when I hunted I only used a bow, a vertical bow. I also did the hours of crossbow research. Then at one Shot Show, I had the PSE booth near mine. That's when I saw this new innovative crossbow they were introducing. Tactical they called it. I also had never fired a crossbow at that point. I only knew that if I was to continue to hunt, this model was the only one for me.

The first thing that got my attention, was that it was an upper I could install on my tricked out M4 lower. I looked closer! Then, I saw the ability to use a crank-to-cock instead of foot stirrups (which I absolutely couldn't do). You could also use the crank to let it off. That crank feature alone sold me, and I preordered one right there. It's still with me after several years, thousands of shots, (and a few animals) later. I feel that the TAC15 has "saved my hunting life". Without it, I would be on the couch each season.

I suggest you read all the threads here. There is a wealth of info and very friendly members always willing to help. I have made all the enhancement mods to mine. Every time I've been unsure, I've stopped and asked. Each one of my noob questions has been answered in patient detail by the members here.

You have made a great choice which you will never regret.

Thanks, sorry to hear about your back...certainly changes your life. I haven't started my accessory aquisitions yet, it was a pretty big leap for just the crossbow. Can't wait to get her dialed in!

Here are the things I've gleaned from the forums that I need :D:
  • HHA Optimizer (a must)
  • additional arrows (a must)
  • new broadheads (always shot Thunderhead fixed or Rage 2-blade mechanical with the vertical bow)
  • Better scope?
  • Silencer kit?
  • Fire nocks
  • Shooting stick
  • QAD drop rest (down the line)
  • crossbow target
  • Quiver
What am I missing? I guess the bow I ordered comes with this scope...Hawke Sport HD...thoughts? Will that work with the HHA system or what should I look at...I want to stay away from the shim under-the-scope-system?
I, unfortunately, had to purchase the TAC from a big box store (the dreaded "C" word) as I had an obsurd amount of rewards points that needed to be used. Everything else will be coming from this site.

You're on the right track! Arrows are always needed, as well as a proper target to stop them. Personally, I won't hunt without the Optimizer anymore. I was lucky though and had several months to play with the bow without it just to find out & sort things myself.

The only broadheads I have experience with is fixed 125 gr. Montec and the 2.0 125 gr. Rage. I found the Rage to shoot the same as my field points out to 80 yards. The Montecs go slightly higher at distance. Be careful with the expanding to make sure they're rated for crossbows. I'd like to go with lighter heads but I have all this 125 gr stuff laying around! I know all the pros and cons of doing so, and will someday maybe. Last year a 125 Montec went through both shoulders an elk at 80 yds.

Here in Idaho it's illegal to use a magnified scope of any kind. I finally found a fixed 1X Bushnell with a 1 MOA dot. I put that on top of the Optimizer. Can't find a crosshair that's non-magnified, and most Dot scopes have a 3-5 MOA dot. So that's what I did to comply.

I haven't tried the silencer kit sold here. I also have not had an animal jump the string either (have shot 5). I did put some moleskin on the pin that stops the hammer and it didn't last very long, but I keep applying it. I do have Super-Quads on the limbs too.

Just adapt to what you need for your expected shooting environment. For me hunting exclusively from a blind, I use a swiveling Harris bipod. I have over a dozen! and choose one for either prone or sitting, whatever the situation I expect. Works for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.