FNG from Westrn NY

Axtell3

Howdy yall.
I'm your basic country guy from rural NY. Made a friend in Steamboat a couple years ago, who made me work on long range shooting ( for here ).
Most shots in my area are short, because of terrain and too many people...
but I have a spot I can practice at 400 yards.
Started with a package savage 111 30-06. I always thought it had a bit of a kick, but it did it's job, so I dealt with it.
Well last fall my buddy dropped his gun and broke the reticle. before we knew that he missed 5 shots at elk. Bummer.
so bore sighting it I got a chance to shoot it. A 300 Garrett. Wow. It is loud with the brake! but recoiled like my 223....
So this spring I started on customising my Savage, Shilen barrel, boyds stock, a little trigger work, glass bedded.
Wow. much nicer to shoot, and no brake.
I'm still fit enough to haul it uphill, so it's going back to Colorado this November for another cow.
Hey I just like being there.
Last year the first morning I estimated about 8-900 head in 1 group. it took 20 minutes to trot by. ( like 1500 yards uphill 40 degrees ) I felt like I was watching Wild kingdom with old Marlin...
I've been reading info on the site for a few years now, and figured I'd put a name with the guest lurker.

Welcome, glad to have you here. lots of good folks and lots of good info. Enjoy.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts