FN Rifle - Mauser replica?

Ray Meketa

Whitewolf

The Mauser action became very popular following WWII because of the thousands of surplus military rifles that found their way to the USA. To satisfy the demand for a better grade of rifle many manufacturers began making commercial actions that were, functionally, near duplicates of the military models but with improvements "built in". The FN was one of the better ones. To say that it's a "replica" is probably not entirely correct. It would be like saying that all automobiles are replicas of the Ford Model T.

Cheechako,

Thanks for the info. Then it's safe to say that I have an FN Mauser - ? I realize they build alot of rifles nowadays based on the Mauser action - it is a good rifle. As I said, it fired beautifully, and will make a fine deer and other larger game rifle for me this hunting season. I also have an older Steyr that I acquired the same way, and will be firing that soon enough as well.

According to my gun book, FN made three different models in 30-06, so my guess is you have one of these:
(1) FN Delux Mauser, 5 shot box magazine, 24" barrel, european walnut stock, pistol grip, cheekpiece, introduced 1947 to 1963
value at $400 - 600
(2) FN Deluxe Mauser, Presentation Grade same specs as above except: engraved receiver, trigger guard, barrel breech, floor plate, ....select walnut stock, same dates, valued at 650 to 995.
(3) FN Supreme Mauser, 5 shot mag, 22" barrel, walnut stock, Monte Carlo Cheek piece, introduced 1957 to 1975.
Valued at 495 to 700

I hope this helps at least narrow it down, measure the barrel length to start.

Good luck!

Many companies bought the rights to produce variations of the Mauser rifles. FN produced what is commonly known as the commercial Mauser. The FN was to the best of my knowledge never produced in military dress - only as a sporterized rifle. I have three of them. One was sold by Western Auto, one by Sears, and one by Montgomery wards. Two are 30-06, and one is .270. All three shot sub-MOA groups as produced, and now that I have built them into custom pieces they are capable of much better. I occasionally find the FN Mausers for sale cheap because they say things like "Sears Model 51" and people don't know what they have. I paid $200 for the last one in pristine condition (scoped). Value your rifle. You have a fine piece. FN has been noted as one of Europe's finest producers. The FN Mauser is strong and reliable, and has, and always will be, my favorite action to build on.

I need some identification help, if you can provide it...I've inherited a 30-06 Fabrique Nationale (FN) rifle that my late father custom build back in the 60's. I think he said at one time that it was a Mauser replica, but I'm not so sure. The only information that I could find about it on the Internet that came close was a model M24, which were imported to the US and elsewhere back in the 60's, which would fit the timeframe.

It's got a wood stock and butt, and the action and all else is black matte. It fires like a dream :] I took it to the range this past weekend and went through two boxes of ammo in short order.

As always, any information you can provide is greatly appreciated!

Thank you all for the info...I'll do as you suggested and measure the barrel length to start, and look it up in Gun Digest 2005 as well. I know it's a fine piece I've got, and that FN makes quality stuff, for the most part, and this Mauser is no exception.

I also have an older Steyr from about the same time-frame or earlier with a wood stock and butt and double trigger in the same 30-06 caliber. I'll do the same for that one.

if it has a thumb cut out on the left and has 24 on it, it is a VZ 24 not FN

Normally FN comercial mauser do not have a thumb cut.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.